Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How Much HP Lost with 12 bolt and Chrome Moly Drive Shaft? How Bout None!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much HP Lost with 12 bolt and Chrome Moly Drive Shaft? How Bout None!

Wanted to get a base dyno done before my heads were installed. I was expecting lower numbers than my last in December due to parasitic losses from a very tight 12 bolt (went from 323's to 373's) and a 3" chrome moly DS. I also upgraded my stall from 2800 to 3200 (I think it's the same but that's another story!).

Bottom line, (same dyno-same operator-etc) = same numbers! Within 1HP and 1ftlb of torque!! I was happily surprised . . . but a little confused? It's hard to believe I added rotational mass to the drive-shaft and more friction through the rear and didn't see any HP loss!

Mark
Old 03-26-2002, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: How Much HP Lost with 12 bolt and Chrome Moly Drive Shaft? How Bout None!

That's what I was figuring, don't know how? Even the temp and baro are almost identical between the days(even though both #'s are SAE corrected). Don't know what else could be different?

The DS was DynaTech I think? Not a 100%, my shop ordered it. I'll check when I get home for ya!

Mark
Old 03-27-2002, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: How Much HP Lost with 12 bolt and Chrome Moly Drive Shaft? How Bout None!

I'm sure you lost 10-15rwhp just like everyone else, there must be some other explanation.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey.. which Chromoly DS did you get?

Quick Reply: How Much HP Lost with 12 bolt and Chrome Moly Drive Shaft? How Bout None!