Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 Install Photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast

Scott, looks like your ABS ring is installed backwards, or if the carrier is machined for it, then it looks like it was machined on the wrong side, or if it pressed on the wrong side (I am not sure if the machine for the ring or if it is just a press-fit)...

Mine is dead center though...

Camaroholic, yeah that really sucks if your buddy actually ordered it for 3-channel ABS... What kind of plates are those at the brake brackets??? If you look at my pics I don't have those, but mine is going in a '95...
95 TA, what posi is in yours? The face that your abs ring presses up against looks in a totally different spot than than the tru-trac Scott is building for me. Yours is closer to center, so the ring fits perfect when pressed.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

John, he states that he orderd it with a Power-loc differntial in his original thread under this one.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm the guy with the S60 with no ABS that Camaroholic is helping. I just called Carol w/ Tbyrne to find out what went wrong. She checked my order from back in Feb. and I did order ABS and so did she from Strange. That made me feel alot better. Now we wait to see what Martin with Strange is going to do. I'll keep you posted. What sucks is we spent several hours painting and installing the wrong rearend.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula 1
I'm the guy with the S60 with no ABS that Camaroholic is helping. I just called Carol w/ Tbyrne to find out what went wrong. She checked my order from back in Feb. and I did order ABS and so did she from Strange. That made me feel alot better. Now we wait to see what Martin with Strange is going to do. I'll keep you posted. What sucks is we spent several hours painting and installing the wrong rearend.
Ahh... That is the EXACT reason why I didn't care and paid more by going with Strange directly, as when you go with a vendor it is just another point that something can get messed up in the order process... Been there, done that, and on something like this (where shipping is not some trivial 'drop it off on the way to lunch' type of item and that costs substantial $$$ to ship), I couldn't see not having the absoloute BEST chance of everything going right...

I called and changed an option the week before it was to be built and then re-verified EVERYTHING on the order... So I knew what I was getting and what was ordered directly with the people that are building it...

Nothing against vendors, they need to make a living too, but on something you can order direct, that is this 'customized', with all the shipping concerns, why have the hassles like you ran into?

Regardless that a GP or a vendor could have saved some $$$, I just felt better ordering direct...

I am also in driving distance of Strange (about a 2 hour drive one way), so if there WERE problems I could just drive down there with it to have them straighten it out, thus it was another big benefit to order with them directly...

Scott, I noticed you are building these up for customers from the housings and stuff, and was wondering how much cheaper you are compared to someone buying from Strange directly?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Ahh... That is the EXACT reason why I didn't care and paid more by going with Strange directly, as when you go with a vendor it is just another point that something can get messed up in the order process... Been there, done that, and on something like this (where shipping is not some trivial 'drop it off on the way to lunch' type of item and that costs substantial $$$ to ship), I couldn't see not having the absoloute BEST chance of everything going right...

I called and changed an option the week before it was to be built and then re-verified EVERYTHING on the order... So I knew what I was getting and what was ordered directly with the people that are building it...

Nothing against vendors, they need to make a living too, but on something you can order direct, that is this 'customized', with all the shipping concerns, why have the hassles like you ran into?

Regardless that a GP or a vendor could have saved some $$$, I just felt better ordering direct...

I am also in driving distance of Strange (about a 2 hour drive one way), so if there WERE problems I could just drive down there with it to have them straighten it out, thus it was another big benefit to order with them directly...

Scott, I noticed you are building these up for customers from the housings and stuff, and was wondering how much cheaper you are compared to someone buying from Strange directly?
PM sent.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, looks like we get to pull the rear end OUT this week and send it back to Strange. Indeed, somewhere along the way inside Strange, the work order got screwed up and a non-ABS got installed.

I guess it's better we caught it now than later... Won't take but about half an hour to get the rear out. Thumbs up to TByrne for helping with this - and to Scott @ Driveline for his help and info as well!
Old 03-27-2006, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did u guys weigh the 12 bolt also to see the weight diff between the 2? id be curious to see.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

We did not. It was posted in another thread that the fully loaded 12-bolt weighed high 180's (like 189 or so).

The 12 bolt we pulled out was disassembled (to get the backing plates off), and my wife's bathroom scale is a VERY clean white - I was playing with fire weighing a brand new rear end on it - put a dusty dirty grimy 12-bolt on there, and oh boy... I'd be in the dog house.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did that 60 cost?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Camaroholic

I bought a lighweight (drag setup) Strange 12 bolt, I'll post up the weight once it comes in.

It would be interesting to compare.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Well, looks like we get to pull the rear end OUT this week and send it back to Strange. Indeed, somewhere along the way inside Strange, the work order got screwed up and a non-ABS got installed.

I guess it's better we caught it now than later... Won't take but about half an hour to get the rear out. Thumbs up to TByrne for helping with this - and to Scott @ Driveline for his help and info as well!

Anytime!

I have came up with a solution for a 3 chanel set up. I took a stock ABS Dana 60 ring and machined it down so it would not touch the inside of the casting. The ring is a larger diameter than what Strange is using so the stock sensor will need to be raise up maybe .100 of an inch. We are still waiting for the ring to return and I should have everything figured out by tomorrow. This will sit about 1/4 behind the ring gear on a Truetrac and will need some tack welding just to make sure it doesn't shift. It does have some press fit from the factory.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

The 60 cost about $2400 total, including shipping. That included 35 spline axles and posi.

I'm sure you could probably get this rear optioned lighter.... gun drill the axles, put a spool in it, and it would drop some weight (spools are LIGHT!). But this is a street / strip setup in a full weight car. 20-25 lbs isn't a big deal in this case. He's adding either a turbo or supercharger in the near future. Weight isn't a primary concern...

And one of the 33 spline axles we pulled out of the Moser was twisted. Wonder if he'll have better luck with the 35's?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like a good solution, Scott! We're just going to pack it up and send it back tho. Let them mess with it. We didn't get the brakes on, nor did we tighten down the suspension (all nuts are hand tight except shocks). So it'll come out easy enough. Worst part will be my scrawny self helping him lug this rear end in to the back of his truck.

If we'd been the one who screwed up the order (and not Strange), I'd have definitely been getting one of those rings from ya.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

wow! talk about one big headache! Wil lthe TA bracket be ok to handle the power now that its been cut? you dont think that by cutting it, the structual integrity has been comprimised?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you look at this picture:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=59593

You can take a look at the "old" hole. Look at the one towards the top of the picture. It's elongated. It was originally round.

While I don't think we made the issue any worse than it already was (compromising the bracket), I think the bracket itself already has issues with the thin ring of metal around the rearward hole. We're just moving to a 'new' hole with about the same amount of metal on the back side of the bolt. That's where the most stress is going to be. Worse comes to worse, we weld the bolt head to the bracket. I do think eventually this hole will elongate also, but we've got those bolts impact-gun tight now.

(as Travis / Formula 1 screams "Andrew you're getting NOWHERE near my car with your welder!" )
Old 03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

please keep us updated! I would like to know how the dana s60 is in daily driving (is it too loud for daily driving ) etc...........

Quick Reply: S60 Install Photos