Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Auburn gear oil different?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auburn gear oil different?

I see on the parts list on this site that you need a different oil for Auburn Diffs..?? Is this true, if so this explains why im replacing my rearend again ..Can someone inlighten me about this!!

Landon
Old 04-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

I don't know of this parts list so I can't comment on that.

But I did buy and install a new Auburn diff in one of my other cars. It chattered real bad with valvoline and two tubes of part store friction modifier.

I called Auburns tech line and they said they get at least two calls a day about this.

They told me to use only Ford or GM friction modifier, and regular GM 80w90 gear oil.

Funny thing is GM was out of the friction modifier so I got that from ford and the oil from GM. This was about 7 years ago and the rear still works quiet and holds good.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, cool..actually I have the lucas gear oil in there with 1 synthetic gear oil and 1 friction modifier from advanced auto..The lucas says it doesnt call for a modifier because it was already in there.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I don't know of this parts list so I can't comment on that.

But I did buy and install a new Auburn diff in one of my other cars. It chattered real bad with valvoline and two tubes of part store friction modifier.

I called Auburns tech line and they said they get at least two calls a day about this.

They told me to use only Ford or GM friction modifier, and regular GM 80w90 gear oil.

Funny thing is GM was out of the friction modifier so I got that from ford and the oil from GM. This was about 7 years ago and the rear still works quiet and holds good.
good advice,i tried using mobil 1 synthetic with the gm friction modifier and had nothing but trouble.the oil would turn grey with metal from the clutches in a few 100 miles.for some reason the auburn cone clutches won't live very long using synthetic oil.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

As stated above, DO NOT USE ANY SYNTHETIC GEAR OILS IN AN AUBURN DIFF!!!!! That is where your problem lies.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

THANKS..So, lucas 80-90 gear oil is a good oil??
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Yep they are correct if You use synthetic in an auburn diff it will void the warranty.

Quick Reply: Auburn gear oil different?