Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Diff Fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Fluid leak

Just got back from a lapping event at Miami/Homestead Speedway. When I put the car up on the trailer I noticed the the diff was covered with fluid. It had blown around pretty bad back there. You could see where it had been cooked on the muffler etc...

I don't know alot about the rear end/gears/diff etc... but I don't really think anything is broken. The last lap I was on the track was my fastest of the day. No sound/grinding that I could hear. Sometimes I'd hear a little clunk when I was shifting from 3rd to 4th. That sound happened on the disengage not the engagment of 4th.

This was the first time I'd hit the track without change the diff fluid first. So this was my second event (third day) with the same fluid.

Where shoud I start looking to diagnose this leak?
Should I drain the fluid and look for metal shavings?
Is it possible I overheated the fluid and it boiled/foamed out?

Thanks.

Gary.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Diff Fluid leak

Actually, I am in the same boat. When I've gotten on it in my car and come home, I have noticed that my rear end is leaking a little. I can't figure out where it is coming from, because it is dripping from a few different places. Is this normal for a KTRE 12-bolt??