Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Did I Break It??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Did I Break It?? Please Help!

need some help here.

Last night at the track, i was having some issues with the rear end...During burnouts the car would slide the *** around for a while, which it never does. Found out later driver's side tire wasnt spinning until halfway thru the burnout. when i rolled out of the burnout, the car felt like it jerked and made a nasty clunking sound, just once....launched alright, 60' a little off, but nothing major, but the car was "assy" as hell the whole way down the track, and i could hear what sounded like rocks hitting the fenderwells. someone also told i smoked the tires, which i never do, so could have been something else smoking.

after going down the return road, i noticed the back of the car trying walk on me, like it was fishtailing at 10mph..and while turning is, very slighty, but still kind of bouncy....i was thinking broke axle, but...

pulled the cover off today, oil is blue-ish gray in color, not very much metal shavings, no c-clip laying in the bottom of the housing like the last time i went thru this.

the only thing i noticed is when rotating a tire, it will kind of jerk and make a very faint popping noise every once in a while, it is very inconsitant, but happens more often at higher turning speed. also while turning left to exit the track and hit return road, car would make squealing noises from the rear, high pitched and very loud, almost sounds like brake squeal, but i can be under light accel and it still does it.

any help would be appreciated before i take the car to the shop. I would like to try a few things or maybe get advice of something to look for. all teeth look ok, groove marks in a few spots, nothing major.....i am just at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by The LT1 That Could; 04-24-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a dead posi maybe.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

possible, it has around 80K on it, as far as I know..

here are some pics, at that will help at all!
http://community.webshots.com/album/549764885gYnvCE
Old 04-24-2006, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

would the dead posi give it the feeling like the *** end wants to just fly around...and cause it to "fishtail" at such low speed. and forgive my ignorance right now, but if the posi wasnt working correctly, would the opposite tire rotate, when spinning one by hand with the car lifted??
Old 04-24-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe check your LCAs and panhard bar?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

ttt, anyone else got an opinion?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

lol, stupid question, is it normal for the rear tires to be able to rotate with the trans in park?? DS is rotating when tires are turned either. is this right?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

check the spider gears in the posi. ring and pinion might be fine but the spider gears that transfer power might be bad.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Did you break your torque arm? Check your mounts. Just a thought.

Edit: Disregard. I didn't read the part about you manualky spinning the wheel.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ski23
check the spider gears in the posi. ring and pinion might be fine but the spider gears that transfer power might be bad.
the spider gears are the visible ones at the top of the posi correct?? there are 3 of them surrounding the springs??

if so, you cant tell in the pics, but they are somewhat squared off at the tip, but however all 3 still turn when turning the wheels....are they supposed to be squared off or come to a point at the tip??