Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

what is the best posi repacement for a 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a Detroit locker from Summit for 519.95. you have to look it up on the website, its not in the catalog. Im putting one in my 10 bolt this weekend. Im sick of peg leg burnouts and shitty traction with my Torsen. A buddie of mine put a Locker in his and loves it. That was enough for me.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do people think of the Eaton Super Duty???.....i am looking into buying one of those locally
Old 04-27-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The LT1 That Could
sooo, for straight line performance alone....very rarely driven on the street, and never goes corner carving, would the Auburn/Eaton be a better choice, or the Zexel Torsen??
Straight line use, minimal street driving.......... Detroit Locker.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JaSSoN
You can get a Detroit locker from Summit for 519.95. you have to look it up on the website, its not in the catalog. Im putting one in my 10 bolt this weekend. Im sick of peg leg burnouts and shitty traction with my Torsen. A buddie of mine put a Locker in his and loves it. That was enough for me.
Please post up how it behaves on the street when you get it in.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Default Eaton Limited Slip in 10 bolt problems

i installed an eaton limited slip in my 10 bolt a few months ago. I went to the track launched at low rpms with an m6 and didn't see any lower 60' times because i was on street tires. When i put on my mt et street radials i burned out with only one wheel peel, cut a 1.970 60' and lowered my et by 3 tenths. I think that i smoked the clutches and am going to rebuild with stronger springs. Other than this, i think that the eaton is a huge upgrade over the stock zt...
Old 09-08-2007, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jonm3456
i installed an eaton limited slip in my 10 bolt a few months ago. I went to the track launched at low rpms with an m6 and didn't see any lower 60' times because i was on street tires. When i put on my mt et street radials i burned out with only one wheel peel, cut a 1.970 60' and lowered my et by 3 tenths. I think that i smoked the clutches and am going to rebuild with stronger springs. Other than this, i think that the eaton is a huge upgrade over the stock zt...
You're NOT using synthetic gear oil in it, are you?? Also, did you add the friction modifier additive?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Teching In

i had my eaton installed at a local performance shop. They used 3 quarts of synthetic royal purple with no limited slip additive. Could this possibly be my problem...
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Launching!

What about the richmond powertrax? It replaces the spider gears inside a clutch type posi... How strong are those units?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jonm3456
i had my eaton installed at a local performance shop. They used 3 quarts of synthetic royal purple with no limited slip additive. Could this possibly be my problem...
More likely than not, that IS your problem. Is it still under warranty (<1year since you actually bought it)?? If so, I would clean it up really well, try to get ALL of the RP out/off of it before sending it in, since they HAVE denied warranties for using synthetic gear oil (especially when they tell you NOT to).
Actually, your local shop should cover ALL of this since (new unit, removal, installation, etc.) they should KNOW better than to use RP (or ANY synthetic) in an Eaton CF posi!! Just make sure that they use a good MINERAL, NON-SYNTHETIC based gear oil when it is done.

Quick Reply: what is the best posi repacement for a 10 bolt?