Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

U-Joint Replacement on LS1 Steel Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Joint Replacement on LS1 Steel Driveshaft

I'm only posting here cause i have a LS1 part and I dont know where else i could get info from people that actually know what they are talking about.

I have a steel driveshaft from a LS1 car - i dont know what year - and one of the u-joints has pretty much frozen up (the one that goes into the pinion yoke).

I got a replacement U-joint ready to go in, and for the life of me, even after following the haynes manual, CANNOT get the damn u-joint out of the driveshaft (old one). how in the **** do you remove this thing?

Any answers will be appreciated. I DO NOT know if its the u-joint that came with the DS from the factory, or a replacement. i do not see a snap-ring or a plastic retainer or anything of the sort.

I have tried pushing the u-joint out using one 1 1/8 socket on one side, and a 5/8 socket (reccomended by haynes) on the other. i dont have a vise, i used a MASSIVE c-clamp (its big...trust me) and tightened to the point where the c-clamp walked off the socket and the socket shot out about 10 feet away and left the clamp smoking from the friction as it left.

I need to get the u-joint replaced by Saturday night and would appreciate some help on this. thanks.

-R
Old 05-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Import Patrol

The is always a clip ring. Just sometimes they are rusty and hard to tell it's not apart of the cap. ONce those are removed. Them use a punch and a hammer to caps off the u-joint.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

hrm. k ill have to use my vise grips and try to rotate the ring. the reason i say i cant see any evidence of a ring - is because there is no gaps anywhere on the "cap" of the u-joint (which would indicate a c-ring).

ill have to see if maybe they are just turned around and rusted.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

find someone with a 20 ton press...just pressed my rear u joint out and it took 10 TONS . the 4 whitish nipple things where the driveshaft meets the u joint are where they are injected. there is a groove on the inside of the u joint and a groove in the u joint cap. u will not get it out in vise or with a sludge hammer....i tried
Old 05-03-2006, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On mine I had to get a torch and heat up each side to melt the nylon clip out of the holes, after you get it all out(it will expand and come out on its own like a snake), just hammer it in, remove the cap and force it out of there.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Banned

thx ppl. thats what it took. had to burn the nylon out of it. came out really easy after that.

thanks for all the help again.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

car feels great -- acclerates smooth, the vibration is gone under load, but not under coast. and now it starts as soon as 30 mph. (only when the car is coasting, no power, in gear or neutral (its a 5spd manual).)

any thoughts?

friend said i should get the DS rebalanced.

auto mechanic i asked about a rebalancing shop said i probably ripped my e.s. tranny mount (i looked at it yesterday while i was working on the car and the bolt holding it to the C.M was loose, but i took the C.M off and supported the tranny and it didnt seem to be broken and i didnt see any cracks) but i doubt it.

thanks again.

-R

Quick Reply: U-Joint Replacement on LS1 Steel Driveshaft