Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

howling Stange Dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the only reasons for your differential broblems.

1. Set-up.
2. Brake in..
3. Set-up and brake in...

I think I have heard more people, on this site alone, complain more about gear noise, than I have ever heard in the past 15 years of building performance differentials. So I have to ask..... are all of you getting your differentials built from the same two companies ?? It is either that none of you properly broke the differential in or these to guys just plain suck at assembly. Which is it ??

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
4.10's will cause way more noise problems than lower gears
The explaination to this should be a good one......... care to elaborate ??
Old 05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my strange 12 bolt. I bought mine used for a local guy. My gears and bearing were pretty beat up to say the least. I which to yukon gears and master install kit. They had to set the gears 3 times to get it like its now. Now the noise is not a howling it just a bit of a whine. That i can deal with.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula 1
Well, we just got my Formula on the road for the 1st time w/ the new Dana 60. At 50 mph I have a pretty loud howl, louder than a new rearend should be. This Dana replaced my Moser 12 bolt, and I've got to say that the Moser was alot quieter when it was new. Even after changing gears, posi's, and finally installing a spool my Moser was always quieter, than this Dana, after being rebuilt. I'll be calling Strange in the morning.

FYI
True Trac w/ 373's
thats EXACTLY were mine was making noise, it was loud!! got it re-done(wich is total bs to have to do to a 2500+ rearend) and its 50-75% quieter. its not perfect, but its better than the 2 other 9in cars ive riddin in.
if i could do it over again, i woulda just got a 12 bolt. i was under the impression the dana was quiet.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

I have 250 miles on the rear now, going to change the fluid and have everything check out Monday afternoon. Will let u know what the conclusion is.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my next concern is strange seems to have not be ready for this gp that was offered up. when u run a gp odds are u r going to get the 10-15 orders that it rquires yet strange has been unable to procur the tru tac posi's to fullfil these orders as well as the others that followed. i think this is causing them to rush in building these and not taking the time they should with a 2500+ rear end. going on 6 weeks waiting for mine and i know others have been waiting longer. if it gets here and it whines or howls enough where it would bother the average passenger in my car this is going to be a huge problem. if i could do it again i would have just built my own 9". i got all excited about the initial posts about the dana and all the claims of how wonderful it was and probably half of the people who have them in cars already are complaining. the other half are probably drag cars.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does Strange and Moser cast the "chunk" in house? Or does some foundry in China do it for them.

Maybe their machinist or some **** is wrong, not consistent... axis center line etc....

More likely they hire a high school kid to slap these together.
I mean they already have your money so they will keep stringing you along then say it's a race part or some **** even though its only gone down the ******* block.

Maybe Strange and Moser should explain just what the **** is going on.. Man $2500 that's a lot of scratch.

I really feel for you guys, must be heartbreak to listen to that bitch howl, and the excuses that are sure to come.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The main assembly man at Moser was one of their initial employees when they started, no kids setting up the rears there. I feel the Moser 9 inch is one of the better ways to go. Normally very quiet, handles plenty of power, and is ready to ship in two days. Bob
Old 05-08-2006, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

wish that was completly true. my friends is a moser 9in with alum/ center. its louder than mine. i just cant understand why SO-MANY of these rears make noise. i bet 75% of ALL f-body rears get noise complaints. 12bolt/9in/ and now the danas. in fact i cant think of one ive riddin in that was TRUELY quiet like a factory 3.23 gm unit, or an 8.8 ford. people like to say,oh its just a performance gear.....yea bs! an 8.8 ford w/4.10s set up correct is as quiet as stock.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

I believe the reasoning for your friends problem is the aluminum center section, I believe that section is meant for a track car because the constant heating and cooling of daily driving the aluminum center section causes much more gear wear, something to that effect, when I was researching before I bought my 9" I read something like that on a thread. Bob may be able to explain it better.
The following users liked this post:
z28 justin (04-22-2020)
Old 05-08-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
Does Strange and Moser cast the "chunk" in house? Or does some foundry in China do it for them.
It was originally re-cast by KTRE in Jackson OH..... which fed them to the rest of the industry.

It doesnt have anything to do with the KTRE housing..... and along with Mark Williams, Summers Brothers, Pro Gear, Tom's Differentials and myself.... have set up several thousand of these 'new' 12 bolts since they became available back somewhere in 1996...... and they were quiet.

The only problem seen was with the machined area of the pinion seal, which leaked..... and that was solved by utilizing a quality Timken pinion seal to negate the issue.

Originally Posted by sykotic
I believe the reasoning for your friends problem is the aluminum center section, I believe that section is meant for a track car because the constant heating and cooling of daily driving the aluminum center section causes much more gear wear, something to that effect, when I was researching before I bought my 9" I read something like that on a thread. Bob may be able to explain it better.
Not neccessarily true. I have put quite a few of these in street chassis'..... but you have to remember that the alloy center section was designed for a chassis weight of no more than 2600 lbs. You put one into a loaded F-body and your asking for problems.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chicane
It was originally re-cast by KTRE in Jackson OH..... which fed them to the rest of the industry.

It doesnt have anything to do with the KTRE housing..... and along with Mark Williams, Summers Brothers, Pro Gear, Tom's Differentials and myself.... have set up several thousand of these 'new' 12 bolts since they became available back somewhere in 1996...... and they were quiet.

The only problem seen was with the machined area of the pinion seal, which leaked..... and that was solved by utilizing a quality Timken pinion seal to negate the issue.
Yea I noticed that the Williams and Moser housing looked similar but the Strange unit is different. And since KTRE is gone who casts them now?

It seems like they don't give a **** about the setup or service after the sale. Because like you said these F-body forums have more complaints about gears etc.. than any other car forum. what gives why are there so many problems
Old 05-08-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't had any problems at all. No rubbing on anything, no whining or howling. I've drove it for two weeks and then took it out to the track for some break in runs, no problems at all and I'm completely happy. Sorry to hear anyone is having problems with their setup.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joker
I haven't had any problems at all. No rubbing on anything, no whining or howling. I've drove it for two weeks and then took it out to the track for some break in runs, no problems at all and I'm completely happy. Sorry to hear anyone is having problems with their setup.
god i hope im another one of the lucky ones when mines arives. has anyone noticed if they have the grease fittings on the axles like the 12 bolts?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah there are two grease fittings installed. That sucks that anyone is having a problem with these units. Again, mine has been on a long distance road trip, taken a few beatings on the track and on the street, and its still rock solid with no noise whatsoever...
Old 05-08-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went with Formula 1 on his first test drive yesterday. Indeed, as soon as we hit ~50 mph, a persistent audible drive-side whine was there. It lessened if you dropped in to a higher gear (5th / 6th), and went away as you got above 60 in those higher gears. It was very prevalent when you were applying engine power to the rear end (loaded). Honestly, it was disappointing to hear it. I must say it was quieter than my Moser 12-bolt with 4.10's, but it certainly wasn't "10 bolt quiet" as has been advertised.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 PM
9 Second Club

is it possible that maybe people arent greasing the axles which is adding to the issue?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
And since KTRE is gone who casts them now?
DTS Express
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Left a message w/ Joe at Strange today. Should have a game plan tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Just wanted to chime in on this. MINE IS HORRIBLE on noise. Same speeeds anything above 35 is just annoyying. I was very very disapointed to loose my 10 bolt to this humming peice of junk almost. Im not happy with it to be honest other than i dont have to worry about it breaking(or do I). My buddie had 456s in his moster 12 bolt that were in his case bad and worn and they were for sure quieter. There better be a fix for it or something. I got about 300 miles on mine now. It looks bad *** I must say. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...o/DSC03916.jpg
Old 05-09-2006, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

i dont give a rats *** what it looks like if it howls in my ear drum.

Quick Reply: howling Stange Dana 60