Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

can you turn a stock 9" into a useable body rear with discs and abs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can you turn a stock 9" into a useable fbody rear with discs and abs?

Pretty much what the title says.

I have a friend who has a few 9 inch rear ends laying around, and I am sure I can get one for dirt cheap. I am just wondering if there are any kits out there that would help me convert the stock 9 inch to one that would be useable for an fbody? I know I would need axles, diff, yoke, and some type of disc brake braket to get rid of the drums. I am assuming that the stock mounting points would not work, so would we need to do something about that.

I really dont know if this is possible, but I would like to not drop a 2500 on a new rear when I can spend time and make one for way less. Any help or input would be great.

thanks
Fry

Last edited by frey51; 05-19-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

From the RearendFAQ sticky above:

"I found a 9 inch in the junk yard for 50 bucks will it work?"

Yes and no... once again that pesky torque arm mount not to mention housing width suspension brackets axles...If your feeling up to a challenge and you have the tools(which will cost more than buying a bolt in housing) not to mention abality to convert such a peice then by all means go for it, when welding on a housing great care must be taken not to warp the housing due to heat this will cause loss of axle center line as well as camber and toe.... please contact a sponsor located over here--------------->
To find the best deals..
Old 05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the information, didnt think to hit the stickies up...That scraps that idea.

fry
Old 05-19-2006, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by frey51
Thanks for the information, didnt think to hit the stickies up...That scraps that idea.

fry
If you find a decent center section (gears, posi, etc) that could save you some $$.