Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 Inch Axle Bearing Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9 Inch Axle Bearing Q

If I pull out my axle on a Moser 9 inch, should I be able to see any grease on the axle bearing or axle tube housing? I think they are supposed to be sealed, but when I pulled the axle there was grease that had seeped out of the bearing.

I'm trying to figure out if the source of this sound is from a bad axle bearing or something else. I only notice the sound right now at lower speeds when turning left sharply. Unfortunately I can't seem to isolate the source of the noise but if my bearing is bad based on visual inspectiono I don't want to drive it too long that way.

http://home.kc.rr.com/kcrickss/camar..._end_noise.mp3
Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

TTT

Surely someone else has pulled their axle besides myself...did you see grease on the bearing or housing?

BTW - I just noticed the sound when turning right today at about the same volume, so I think the bearing might be OK and the sound is something else....BUT I'm still curious about this question!

TIA.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:37 AM
roy
TECH Resident

My 9inch was making noise like that , for me it was a combination of play in the bearing and the friction ring and sealed bearing moving approximately 1/8 inch from the end of the axle shaft.
The noise was actually coming from my after market park brake rubbing on the rotor when turning .
Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Interesting...thanks for the response! It is very odd because I can hear it pretty well with the windows rolled up but hardly at all when I roll down the window. It could be my loud exhaust but since I'm not really gassing it I think it because the sound is transmitting into the car somehow. I'll try to check the parking brake and see if I can notice anything.

Was there visible wear on the parking brake cable or line?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I only heard mine with the windows up . I also noticed unusual wear on my rotor also. But my brakes and parking brake are just a little different then the factory setup. rear brake
On a bad note you are stuck with that sealed ball bearing design, unless you want to fork out some heavy cash for new set of axles and housing ends that will accomodate a tapered roller bearing setup.
I tried a different sealed bearing made by Federal -Mogel, the part number is 514003 . It comes with a bigger friction ring (press ring) then the green Bearing 9508B. Hopefully this one will stay put.