Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 9" guys help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford 9" guys help!

What is the proper way to install the studs for the center section? I tried with the arp studs I ordered and the locking nuts and that was a disaster. I had to cut one locking nut off and the rest were smoking because they came off so hard. How tight should I be impacting these things? Use non-locking nuts? Any lube on the stud to help it seat with less pressure? I'm going to buy locking nuts tomorrow for my other sets of studs that I have, I don't want to mess these up.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need some grade 8 non locking nuts and a stack of flat washers...cover the studs in lube like chassis grease give the studs a small tap from behind to set them and then draw them in.. you can use a wratchet witch is best if its your first time or a electric impact you dont want to ovet tighten the studs or you'll pull the threads on them I also would reccomend the use of ny locks instead on a metal lock nut... just rung your fingers on ther back side to see if its in far enough
Old 07-16-2006, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

what are ny lock nuts? nylon?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

alright I got the studs in and put the centersection in but it looks like the gasket split in three spots? What gives? I had the gasket on the housing with the studs when putting the center section on and I had a thin line of silicon on both sides of the gasket.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes if the studs arent perfectly straight you'll have a gasket prob check out to make sure none of the studs are crooked..
Old 07-16-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought I smeared some kind of sealer on the stud grooves where they are pulled through the housing. My understanding is that the studs tend to leak or weep over time if not sealed. Check with Moser.