Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Why buy a 12 bolt or a 9" when you can make that 10 bolt strong for around $600?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried every trick in the book back in the day (reinforcing axle tubes, etc) and I was holding together, but couldn't keep a posi in it. Spider gears or torsen gears would ultimately break...
Old 07-20-2006, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

send it to me, I'll host it
Old 07-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Whoever decided to run that article should be fired.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

This brings me a question that maybe a rear end pro can help with. I hear bigger = better over and again, I understand some of the reasons why.

What I wonder is how do alot of the sports cars have strong rears with smaller sizes? EG the supra rx7 EVO STi etc.

I've seen supras rear I'd guess off hand it's not even as big as our 10 bolt. Why can they hold the big #s and last at the track yet the GM ones don't?

I can only guess it's better internals but everyone here says even a built 10 bolt will die. What gives?

I'd like to read over the article just out of my own wondering.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
This brings me a question that maybe a rear end pro can help with. I hear bigger = better over and again, I understand some of the reasons why.

What I wonder is how do alot of the sports cars have strong rears with smaller sizes? EG the supra rx7 EVO STi etc.

I've seen supras rear I'd guess off hand it's not even as big as our 10 bolt. Why can they hold the big #s and last at the track yet the GM ones don't?

I can only guess it's better internals but everyone here says even a built 10 bolt will die. What gives?

Same here...some of it I'd attribute to internet folklore, as I personally know of ridiculously abused 10-bolts that have held up great. I had to have mine rebuilt under factory warranty because of excessive gear noise, but haven't heard a peep from it since. Then again, I drive like a grandma

Shock loads are hard to calculate, so who knows...but I hear stories of people breaking differentials in 12-bolts and 9" rears too, and stories of people getting excessive gear whine after beating on their 12-bolts.

Personally, I don't want to deal with the aftermarket rear companies. IMO, their customer service sucks, and their prices are too high. I'm gonna do everything I can to keep the 10-bolt together, even if that means not squeezing every last bit out of it (which I can live with).

Also, our cars are fairly heavy, which is probably the biggest factor in breaking these rears...they also make a lot of torque off the line, which isn't really something a Supra is known for
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to buy this magazine just so I can write them a long hate article.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by keliente
I am going to buy this magazine just so I can write them a long hate article.
You can do that, but for 95%+ of the people that own these cars, the 10-bolt is more than sufficient (since not everyone mods their car, or races it).
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

My guess is the torque seen at low rpms is probably more abundant in an LS1 versus the import stuff and in the case of an AWD, if you are pushing that torque to four wheels versus two you are asking each diff to carry a smaller percentage of that torque.....maybe??? But I would still think that the initial torque loads are smaller at launch as compared to a LS1....

Chris
Old 07-20-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You can do that, but for 95%+ of the people that own these cars, the 10-bolt is more than sufficient (since not everyone mods their car, or races it).
You have a point but I also have some unrequited rage to express
Old 07-20-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keliente
You have a point but I also have some unrequited rage to express
Time to get laid.

My uneducated guess: since it's in a "Part" series (1, 2, etc.), they will come to the conclusion that has been expressed here. It's just a marketing method to drum up interest and sell more than one mag.

On another note, if they offer a money-back guarantee, they have my wad.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

its a combination of factors.
1. most of them are not running slicks and dumping it at the dragstrip.
2. they weigh alot less.
3. they make less torque, and its this final gearing thats bringing it up.
4. the number of guys that make the power to break them are alot less there, then the number of guys that make the power to break them here.
5. the AWD guys have all their power split between wheels.

and lastly, the size of the 10bolt isnt the whole problem
a rear end of the same ring gear size could be made strong enough.
however, this rear just isnt engineered as well as it could be.. for example the case flexes, and that can trash the gears.

the number one way to break a 10bolt is to have the gear lash slack, and do a high RPM clutch dump with slicks on a full weight car... the gears slam together, the case flexes, and the posi is overstressed.. ive seen every part in the case break at one point or another... this is horrific abuse, and to reliably take it, you need to be far overkill of whats normally needed.. the funny thing is, lots of us do this abuse to our cars. theres two options... stop doing that, or make it strong enough that you dont have to worry about it.. and while i COULD launch softer.... its more fun to have that brutal drop. plus the fun factor goes WAAAY up when you stop worrying about scattering a rear.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i subscribe to HPP and have read the article...

i was wondering why they would waste the time and money to build a 10 bolt when its just going to break.

somebody had said that for 95% of f-body owners the 10 bolt is sufficient, and i agree. but for 99% of f-body owners who modify their cars the 10 bolt will not be enough.
the first time that i broke mine the only mods i had were a flowmaster, intake lid and LS6 intake manifold. at the time i was putting down 317 rwhp, and i am not the kind of guy that pounds on my car all of the time.

when our cars were in production it just amazed me that F-bodies could have a crappy 10 bolt under them and weak Mustang GTs had 8.8s.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
plus the fun factor goes WAAAY up when you stop worrying about scattering a rear.
EXACTLY!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

im also curious
Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

right when i saw the Ad i knew it would stir up this forum they said there were going to test against the other rears should be a good read
Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Launching!

It's prolly just an advertising hook. Mention a part used in the rebuild, and lo and behold, there's an ad for that exact same part just a couple of pages away!

I broke my 10-bolt on my first pass at the track. I got a 9" because I just didn't want to have that worry in the back of my mind, like Mr_Dude1 sez.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Waste of money to built up a 10 bolt.......I know its just a matter of time before mine is done, and ill just go out and get a 9 in. and be done with it
Old 07-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
right when i saw the Ad i knew it would stir up this forum they said there were going to test against the other rears should be a good read

Tell ya what... I"d like to have them let ME test it. I'll have a 500 rwhp th400'd setup soon.. I'd love to have them put that rear in my car and let me launch off teh transbrake right up on my stall.... that rear would melt before I even made it to the 1.8th mile I'm sure of it. Hell, I'd be surprised if the car even made it 60 feet. And if I don't kill it on the first pass, then I'd guess the 2nd would do it in.

Or, we could put it in my friends 383 equpped transam, with a th400 and a directport nitrous system.. I'm sure that launching his car off teh brake spraying out of the hole would eject parts right out the rear cover.... probably the whole cover too.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Launching!

PDF is uploaded, check the first page.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

I thought this woud turn into a 'bash the 10 bolt' thread, but read the article, it clearly states the limitations of this unit when beefed up. If your power goals do not exceed the limits they suggest (425ish), then this is a good option and cheaper then upgrading to a 12 or 9", if your goals are higher then that, then just upgrade. I thought it was well written, why does everyone want to write the editor and bash them?

Tell ya what... I"d like to have them let ME test it. I'll have a 500 rwhp th400'd setup soon.. I'd love to have them put that rear in my car and let me launch off teh transbrake right up on my stall.... that rear would melt before I even made it to the 1.8th mile I'm sure of it. Hell, I'd be surprised if the car even made it 60 feet. And if I don't kill it on the first pass, then I'd guess the 2nd would do it in.
It doesn't say anything about supporting that power level, so you are right, but your comments reflect the bandwagon bash train

Last edited by mcamp001; 07-22-2006 at 09:46 AM.