Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend has a vicious knocking - ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Rearend has a vicious knocking - ideas

Okay, so my buddy's SS has a problem. When he drives in a straight line, it is fine. When he cuts the wheel and turns, the diff goes through hell and back. So, it obviously happens when the back wheels are not spinning at the same speed.

We performed an experiment. We raised the rear of the car so that the tires were 1.5" off the ground, and we removed the differential cover. We then started the car, and let the drivetrain do it's thing in 1st gear as we observed what was going on in the rearend. There were no problems. Then we took a 2"x4" and placed it in front of each tire to slow it down, or load it. When we did this on each wheel, hell broke loose and the carrier was knocking, bucking, jumping and clunking. Long story short, we initially thought it may have been an axle problem, but after our little garage experiment I am led to believe there is a problem with the limited slip differential itself. As it sits right now, the car is completely unfit for driving - you'd be better off riding a bull to work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, does anyone know what exactly is going on here, or am I not thinking about something obvious?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Been there, done that. Stock torsen posi is gone. One of the worm gears inside the torsen has broken, Time to replace the posi.

Nice thing with the torsens(if you can call it that) is the worm gears usuually go out and you can usually drive it home. My Eaton HD posi blew the spider gears out and took out the ring and pinion. If I were to replace the 7.5 posi I'd go with a HD torsen. I'm currently waiting for my S60 to show up.

Dee Jay
Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the exact same problem going on. I really can't complain though, I've beat the **** out of it for 5 years. What sucks is I had new 4.10's put in probably 3000 miles ago, and now the posi goes, and from the looks of it, it took the gears with it too. Even if the gears are still good, it's not worth the money to get it all replaced. The plan is a D60, might drop in a used 10 bolt in the mean time just so I can drive the thing.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
you'd be better off riding a bull to work.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does the same. I'm gettin a used 10-bolt & gears this weekend. The 10-bolt is outta a auto, so I'm gettin new 3.42's off a member on here to go with it. Then off to the rebuild shop. I found a shop in my town to do a complete rebuild for $260 & they will paint it black for free to help hide that old ugly lookin rusty stock axle a little better. I will be out like $400 in the end.