Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What to do?!!Auburn vs. Torsen vs. Eaton ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do?!!Auburn vs. Torsen vs. Eaton ??!!

I have a 98 T/A with the Auburn limited slip. It seems to have gone south as I am getting bad vibration/slippage when applying power at the moderate level...about 1/2 throttle from a dig and 3/4 throttle when moving around town. If I baby it around it seems to be fine (no noises) so I don't suspect the bearings as much as the posi...your opinions would be appreciated in diagnosis as well!! My big thing is do I go with the original Auburn unit as a replacement or a zexel torsen from the later models. They both work well and seem to do the exact same thing. I have also seen an Eaton locker for sale about the same price. It is made for the exact same application 7.5-7.6 10 bolt with 28 spline axels. Is that (Eaton) a stronger unit than the others or should I just stick to stock with limited slip. I would like to make it stronger if I have to replace stuff as I do have some mods and would like to have some track time with the car as well. This is my DD car if it matters. About 60 miles a day 5 days a week. Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice is to not put any money in that rear and save for a 12 bolt.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INMY01TA

Drive the 10 bolt until the wheels fall off...if you can't afford a 12 bolt/9inch by then, pick up a used auburn/torsen posi from another 10 bolt...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA

That's always easier said then done....

why does everyone say that like we all have 2400 in our pockets ready to burn a whole in it?

There's no doubt about it these damn 10bolts are a thorn in our sides.......

But there's got to be a way to beef them up....2400 bux is not easy to come by. I've got enough bills to worry about.

To the guy figuring out what Posi to buy.....go with an Eaton...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alpha Male
That's always easier said then done....

why does everyone say that like we all have 2400 in our pockets ready to burn a whole in it?

There's no doubt about it these damn 10bolts are a thorn in our sides.......

But there's got to be a way to beef them up....2400 bux is not easy to come by. I've got enough bills to worry about.

To the guy figuring out what Posi to buy.....go with an Eaton...
It's not a matter of having $2400 in your pocket at any given time...I didn't. When my 10 bolt took a **** though I knew better than to rebuild it again. 400hp + et streets + track every week = I didn't want to come home on a flatbed again.

It's easy to get wrapped up in "beefing up your 10 bolt". Problem is you keep "beefing up" the weenie rear end and it's going to keep breaking. Before you know it you have $1500 in your broken 10 bolt and you wish you would have just saved that $$ for something better.

Don't be "that guy" who can't afford a 12 bolt/9 inch yet rebuilds his rear end every other week. (*cough* ben *cough*)

Bottom line of the 10 bolt - besides installing gears - if it ain't broken, don't fix it. No wasting $$ on axles or fancy $600 posis.

Besides, he is talking about a vibration/slippage. When I think vibration/slippage the last thing I think of is a posi...could be some part of the clutch/pressure plate, driveshaft, motor mount, unbalanced tires, etc etc etc. IMO he should spend more time narrowing down the problem instead of replacing things that might be A ok...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I completely second Kelly's statement. You will throw money at it evertime it breaks... and eventually it will end up costing you more than $2400.

I can however, point you towards a cheaper solution which includes a warranty.....

The good news for now is....... you pretty much qualify for the Auburn "D-REX" program.... if you meet the requirements, that is. Which, IMO, you do.

D-Rex Exchange program

Qualifications and program information is in the lower right hand links of the page.

Even better.... its only a $100.

Last edited by chicane; 07-31-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

i just got a used rebuilt Series 2 Auburn posi (cone inside was good still) and some auburn 3.73 gears and a 10 bolt T/a girdle.. hopefulyl she holds!!

Quick Reply: What to do?!!Auburn vs. Torsen vs. Eaton ??!!