Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clanging from the rear / driveshaft areas, PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clanging from the rear / driveshaft areas, PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a clanging that doesnt seem to be affecting the car's performance one bit, but its annoying as hell to a person like myself that can't stand even the slightest interior rattle.

It started quite a while ago and is getting worse. Started When i hammered the car once in the wet, spun up through first, shifted into second and got bad wheel hop for some reason... When i did that, it jarred the exhaust loose (since been fixed) and wheni got home (my road is slightly bumpy the last 1/4 mile) i noticed the clang.

It clangs when you go over bumps... pretty loud, metal to metal sound... also will clutter and clang around if you are going slow and turning into something off camber - say into a parking space) ... I have a couple buddies with shops, and we've had the car up on the rack... If you just take and spin the rear wheel back and forth, you can hear it clanging loud as hell - sound seems to be coming from the driveshaft... Will make the sound if you make the car buck at low rpms in gear... Also, will usually clang if you are turning into that parking space i mentioned above, and press in the clutch.. when the cltuch disengages, it'll clangidy clang clang...

Please, this had been driving me nutz for a long time and we really dont' know what to do... My buddy says he doesnt wanna tear the rear end apart and spend all that money for parts/labor without having atleast a good thought on what it could be....

BTW, its a Moser 12 bolt rear with 4:10's (if that's important info)
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

i'm thinking it might be related to TSB 3188
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...K&type=VEHICLE

if anyone has access to what this TSB says, can you help me out
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

tttttt
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

I bet you broke/chipped your ring gear (4.10) because I just did that last night. Ill be downgrading to 3.37s now because the 4.10s gear teeth are not wide/strong enough- especially for your car. My car isnt even all that powerful. Pull off the rear transfer case cover and check out all the metal chunks that are in there- do this before they get into the diffrential