Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Loud noise under car

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loud noise under car

I had just got my car back today from being in the shop for a month for body work and having a new rearend, panhard bar, and torq arm, and ect, put in. So I go to test it start slow to about 15-25 then drop it to 1st then I here a loud clunk under my car before it takes off. I thought it was the tranny mount no big deal so when I stopped I gave the pedal a nice tap from a dig to aee if it was my tranny hitting under the car but it wasnt and it had only done this once more today during the samn situation. Does anyone know what this could be? When I first heard the noise it was after I had floored my car the tires didint spin it just squated down and took off could it have been the rear end hitting my exhaust. I tryed the same thing at a 30 mph drop to 1st and it broke the tires lose and I did not hear the noise so this has me really confused now. If it helps my car is lowerd front and rear about 1-1/2" in the rear that is why I had thought my rear had hit my exhaust.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of the aftermarket torque arm. That would be the culprit of the noise. Whether you can live with it or not is a personal decision.

I had a nice tubular UMI chassis mount t/a...it sure looked nice but man as soon as it was installed I wanted to rip it off. I don't care how much it helped at the track, the clunk noise made me feel like I was driving an old piece of ****. If I had another f-body I would probably not do a torque arm until it became absolutely necessary (like I kept breaking stock ones or something).

Last edited by keliente; 08-10-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL damn oh well i guess as long as it doesnt do it for daily driving. Also my rear posi and ring and pinion are new as far as i know right now i have a tire on the rear passenger side that has 100% tread and 1 on the driver side that has about 40%. They only replaced the 1 that blew my question is after i do some drivng and everything heats up rear and all it sounds like i can hear my posi working when i make a turn to the right the side that has the new tire am i hurting the rear or is this normal for a new aftermarket set-up. I just dont want to break another posi unit this new rear end was installed by a GM dealer so I figured that they didi it right and i dont want to pay $50hr for labor thank god i had full coverage for this accident. Damn 10 bolts
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Get used to bottom the car out alot on the torque arm
Old 08-11-2006, 06:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keliente
I had a nice tubular UMI chassis mount t/a...it sure looked nice but man as soon as it was installed I wanted to rip it off. I don't care how much it helped at the track, the clunk noise made me feel like I was driving an old piece of ****. If I had another f-body I would probably not do a torque arm until it became absolutely necessary (like I kept breaking stock ones or something).
Something wasn't set-up right then. This is common but after some tweaking you can solve this problem, there are a few things that can cause it. But they can easy be solved making it very streetable. Next time give us a call and we will see if we can quiet it down.

Thanks,
Ryan