Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question about removing pinion yoke and custom collar

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about removing pinion yoke and custom collar

I bought a complete 9 inch center section from somebody and asked them, "Do you happen to know if this has a crush sleeve or a solid spacer?" and he tells me this "It is 100% mint condition no crush sleeve a custom made collar for the exact required backlash is used. This is ready to bolt in and go." Well I now have it in and need to get a longer pinion yoke because my driveshaft is too short. Do any of you know if I will need to redo the backlash if I remove the yoke and put on another longer one? Or will the custom collar this guy is talking about keep me from having to redo the backlash? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Why not get a longer driveshaft or longer transmission yoke?

Do pinion yokes come in different lenghts?

The "crush sleeve" or "bearing spacer" only affects pinion bearing preload, not backlash or pinion depth (both of which can affect the gear mesh pattern). If you do have a solid / shimmed bearing spacer instead of a crush sleeve, then disassembly / reassembly should not affect anything.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They make up to 1330 size yokes in short and long. Basically a 1" difference. I have the 1330 long on my 9" in order to use the factory driveshaft. Crush sleeve or spacer I believe depends on what style pinion you have, small or large bearing. small using a crush sleeve, large using the spacer. I just wish they made a 1350 long yoke, not just short.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Why not get a longer driveshaft or longer transmission yoke?

Do pinion yokes come in different lenghts?

The "crush sleeve" or "bearing spacer" only affects pinion bearing preload, not backlash or pinion depth (both of which can affect the gear mesh pattern). If you do have a solid / shimmed bearing spacer instead of a crush sleeve, then disassembly / reassembly should not affect anything.
I have thought about a longer transmission yoke and have asked on here but didn't get a reply about it so I didn't think people did it. Do you know where I can get a longer transmission yoke? When I plan on doing hard launches I will get a Denny's Nitrous Ready driveshaft but until then the longer transmission yoke sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richieg
They make up to 1330 size yokes in short and long. Basically a 1" difference. I have the 1330 long on my 9" in order to use the factory driveshaft. Crush sleeve or spacer I believe depends on what style pinion you have, small or large bearing. small using a crush sleeve, large using the spacer. I just wish they made a 1350 long yoke, not just short.

See and I think I am exactly 1 inch to short. If I can't find a longer transmission yoke, maybe I should switch to a 1330 yoke instead of the 1350 that is on it now. Since I don't plan on launching it hard until later. But then again by custom collar does the guy mean solid spacer? What do you think? That way I can switch the pinion yokes out. By the way I should say that the conversation me and the guy had was over the internet. This guy is gone alot and reply's take a while. I was hoping to get a quicker reply from ya'll, and have already gotten two.

Last edited by djm_e22; 08-31-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Get out your dial indicator and record the gear backlash,and mark the teeth so you can get a pattern before you disassemble the carrier asssembly. When you go to tighten dwon the new yoke,do it to spec,then simply readjust the ring gear over to get you backlash and pattern the way it was. Ford 9" has to be the easiest rearend ever to setup and adjust. And the 9" uses small shims under the pinion carrier to set pinion depth,not sure about pinion preload,its been 7 years since I was buildng trannies and rearends. Its basically a smaller version of a Rockwell semi axle
Old 08-31-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First thing is figuring out what pinion/bearing size you have, large, also called daytona style, or small. I'm having 9" issues of my own right now. I talked to currie just yesterday. They said that if all I have to do is change the yoke, then I don't need to worry about the gears getting out of whack. Just take the nut off, pull the yoke off, leave the spacer, put on new yoke, put nut on with loclktite, torque to 145lbft, and done. This is with the large bearing/pinion setup though. I have a brand new carbon fiber driveshaft sitting in my garage, but I can't put it on due the unavailability of a 1350 long yoke. All that is available in 1350 is the short, which is an inch shorter. I've called every known driveshaft/drivetrain shop in the country. They all say that I will not find what I'm looking for. So now I'm going to have to go to a local machinist and have in convert my 1330 long, to a 1350 long. Atleast I hope it can be done. I wish I would have known about the yokes before I had my driveshaft made.