Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Yes, I need help with driveshaft install

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006 | 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I didn't see it..... what rear did you put in it?
A 3 channel 10 bolt with Motive 4.10s and TA cover. Axles and backing plates from my old 4 channel rear end were swapped over to retain ABS/TCS.

I am gonna spin the yoke on the pinion 180* and see what happens.
Old 09-04-2006 | 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Alright I unbolted the driveshaft from the pinion yoke and spun the driveshaft 180* and bolted it back up. The vibration does seem to have gotten better but it is still there.

So I am guessing I need to take the pinion yoke from my old rear and install it on the new rear.

It makes sense if the driveshaft was originally balanced with the pinion yoke that was on the old rear, it is not going to be perfectly balanced with the yoke on the new rear. But this depends if todddchi is correct.
Old 09-04-2006 | 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you absolutely should have kept your original pinion yoke paired to your driveshaft.

If you just look at them, I am 99% sure you will see the balance wieght in a completely different position / size of on the yoke. But even if they look the same, each pinion yoke is a little different. These are castings, they are not all the same.

Swap over your original pinion yoke, realizing you have 50/50 chance of installing it correctly.
Old 09-04-2006 | 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

my pinion weight was taken off when i had my toothpick rebuilt with 4.10's. guy said no need for it, and said it was tearing the **** out of my pinion seal.

ever since ive had no vibrations or anything.