Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Looking for ABS on my Strange 12 bolt. "Sensor not on top of pumpkin" help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for ABS on my Strange 12 bolt. "Sensor not on top of pumpkin" help!!

On top of the pumpkin there is a plug type of object that goes right down inside the pumpkin. Well, on my 10 bolt, there is a ABS sensor in that spot where the plug goes. I automatically assume this rear is is for a car that has TCS. I then call the previous owner which had the rear end for only 50-75 miles said that it woudl indeed work with ONLY abs vehicle and that the sensor was in the axle? I do not have the axles yet becasue they were shipped seperately. My question is, would there be any other way to hook up just the ABS besides on top of the pumpkin "where it is located on the stock unit". Remember that when I remove the plug on top of the 12 bolt unit, you can see inside the pumpkin.
This is kind of hard to explain and let me know if you need more details or if you can kinda grab a hold of what I am talking about. Do I have to fabricate this thing to make my ABS work\?
Old 06-27-2002, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Default Re: Looking for ABS on my Strange 12 bolt. "Sensor not on top of pumpkin" help!!

You remove the plug from the 12-bolt, then take the sensor off the stock rear, and install it where you took the plug out from on the 12-bolt. It can't be any simpler than that.

When you pull the plug on the 12-bolt, look inside and you should see gear teeth near the hole. Those are the teeth of your ABS reluctor gear.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Looking for ABS on my Strange 12 bolt. "Sensor not on top of pumpkin" help!!

Well, that is what I figured but it seemed like the sensor on the stock 10 bolt was smaller than the one required on the 12 bolt? am I wrong?
Old 06-27-2002, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the abs sensor locations are different on different cars. mine has one on the pumpkin, some have one on the end of each axle.. hope you got the right one for your car.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:13 AM
Coal Mining Director

An ABS only car is 3 channel and has the sensor in the plug that you are talking about. A TCS car is 4 channel and has the sensors at the end of each axle at the brakes. Look into the hole that is plugged on top of the diff. If a reluctor wheel is seen (cogged wheel), then you will only need an ABS sensor to put into the hole. If the reluctor wheel isn't there you're screwed if you don't have traction control as you can't hook up a 4 channel tcs to a 3 channel abs only car....Strange would have to install a reluctor wheel behind the ring gear for you.

Quick Reply: Looking for ABS on my Strange 12 bolt. "Sensor not on top of pumpkin" help!!