Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Eaton Posi vs. Detroit Locker

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006 | 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Default Eaton Posi vs. Detroit Locker

OK I didnt understand the difference between these two so i did sum research, i found a lot of stuff that helps. so just to make sure..

Eaton Posi's are for street and occasional strip use...how ever they are the weaker of the two in the long run.

Detroit Locker's are locked right when the car drives strait and when turning make a ratcheting sound. They are for track use and are stronger in the long run.

Right??? or am i totally wrong.
Old 09-28-2006 | 01:55 AM
9 Second Club

That's about right. Here's a thread I posted in. Don't know if you came across it in your search. Maybe it'll help you some.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/569471-diff-between-true-trac-detroit-locker.html
Post #7
Old 09-28-2006 | 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

If you care about turning left and right on the street with any proficiency, the lockers are not for you (even though I know many do it, they AIN'T autocross cars!).
If you only (mainly) care about straight line launches, the locker is second only to a spool.
Old 09-28-2006 | 07:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver
If you care about turning left and right on the street with any proficiency, the lockers are not for you (even though I know many do it, they AIN'T autocross cars!).
If you only (mainly) care about straight line launches, the locker is second only to a spool.

That's interesting considering NASCAR is almost tottaly a "locker" automotive sport....
Old 09-28-2006 | 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

If I had a 9 inch it'd have a locker in it.
Old 09-29-2006 | 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
That's interesting considering NASCAR is almost tottaly a "locker" automotive sport....
So is Trans Am road racing. But most people on here who care about handling are not using/cannot use tire compounds that won't last 100 miles on the street. Also, most of those same "left and right" people do not/cannot powerslide/drift 800rwhp cars around turns on public streets. This is all besides the noise involved, again which some can take, and others cannot.

BTW; the only reason the above competitors (NASCAR & Trans Am) use this diff on ROAD COURSES is because the rules dictate they MUST. If they had a choice, they would go with a real strong 9" version of a Torsen T2R, if it even existed.

Quick Reply: Eaton Posi vs. Detroit Locker