Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

those who have replaced u-joints (or had them done) in their aluminum driveshafts....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default those who have replaced u-joints (or had them done) in their aluminum driveshafts....

did your replacement u-joints come coated with that recommended ALUMIGUARD stuff that protects the steel bearing cap from corroding the aluminum yoke? I have been told that this is highly recommended and w/o it the steel caps may start to pit the aluminum yoke and after awhile yout bearing caps will become loose inside the aluminum yoke.

I am looking at a new PST CF driveshaft and I am waiting on a response from PST asking them if they use Alumiguard coated u-joints on their aluminum and aluminum yoked driveshafts.

Paul
Old 10-15-2006, 07:40 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the PST driveshafts have any coating on the U Joints. The PST driveshaft is lifetime warrantied and the U Joints are warrantied for 10 years. If you ever had a problem, they would take care of it for you. Bob
Old 10-16-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they should if they are aluminum......
I just ordered a carbon fiber shaft with aluminum yokes from them and they are using Performance Dynamics u-joints (Neapco's high end stuff) which has the Alumiguard coating on the bearing caps. PST stated to me that they use Performance Dynamics ujoints in all their high end shafts and Neapco joints in there normal shafts. You can also get Neapco joints that are coated as well. If you look up cars that come with aluminum shafts in Neapco's catalog, they will specify the use of coated bearing caps. I don't know how much of a concern it is if you live down south, but for those that live in places that see salt, I would want coated caps. The local driveshaft guy here stated that he has fixed a few aluminum shafts that people had non-coated ujoints installed and it basically started to eat the aluminum from GALVANIC CORROSION

Paul
Old 10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ew...galvanic corrosion. Reminders of my days in undergrad with my materials class. I assure you, not many people know about that stuff (and probably don't care either).