Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone have a pinion depth gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a pinion depth gauge?

Hi! I am assembling an 8.2 rear end for my ls1 hot rod project and I bought an Auburn posi unit and Richmond gears for it. I have tried assembling it without setting the pinion depth and using the stock shims but that won't work because I replaced the carrier too. So, I need to put the axle together using this tool, but I cannot justify spending over $100 to buy the tool only to use it one time.
Does anyone in San Antonio, Tx area have this tool and willing to loan/rent it for a few days? Thanks alot for helping me out, i've been working on this axle for 2 weeks!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 50chevy
Hi! I am assembling an 8.2 rear end for my ls1 hot rod project and I bought an Auburn posi unit and Richmond gears for it. I have tried assembling it without setting the pinion depth and using the stock shims but that won't work because I replaced the carrier too. So, I need to put the axle together using this tool, but I cannot justify spending over $100 to buy the tool only to use it one time.
Does anyone in San Antonio, Tx area have this tool and willing to loan/rent it for a few days? Thanks alot for helping me out, i've been working on this axle for 2 weeks!

Start out with a .028 pinion shim and set backlash to .009-.010. Put a pattern on it and post up some pattern pics, I'll tell you which way to go.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Banned

You should take a brake hone and hone the inside diameter of the big pinion bearing. Use this for set up only so you can slide it off for easy shim changes. When you find the right shim press a new bearing on.
Also use the old pinion nut with the lock crimps ground off so it'll thread on easy, don't use a crush sleeve for set up, always use the same preload during trial set up, and final assembly.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a pinion depth gauge?