Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Groaning creaking noise from rear in sharp turns...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Groaning creaking noise from rear in sharp turns...

So I finally got my wrecked Z back on the road today...yay! I swapped in a whole rearend from another '98 Z since my original one was damaged in the accident and was making funny noises before that anyway.

I noticed while making sharp turns, either left or right, that I get groaning or creaking noises coming from the back of the car. I went to an empty parking lot and slowly drove it around in circles, both left and right. It doesn't feel like it's hopping or anything like that...it just makes these funky noises.

What could it possibly be? I've heard that sometimes the LCA's can make noise if they're not installed with a load put on the rear suspension. However, when I reconnected my UMI LCA's to the donor rear I put a little load on each side of the rear with a jack. Or, could it possibly be clutch noise from the differential? I've never heard clutch chatter before so I wouldn't know how to identify it. Perhaps I'll try draining some fluid out with a pump and then pump in some limited slip additive.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The slip additive will probably fix it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Well, I went back underneath the car last night to make sure every nut and bolt was tight. To my amazement, I tightened everything properly the first time around! I usually miss little things in my rush to get done. Since everything checked out there, I decided to pump out a little bit of diff fluid. I pumped out about 4-6 ounces of fluid and replaced what I pumped out with some Trans-X LSD additive. I took it out for a spin this morning and no more noise!