Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Sandblasting Rear End Housing... Ive got a few Concerns??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sandblasting Rear End Housing... Ive got a few Concerns??

I picked up a traditional 9inch for my project last week. So now i get to start in on geting it narrowed, installing the 4link Brackets etc but before that happens i want to get the housing sand blasted and powdercoated. Heres my concerns, do i have to dissasemble the rear down to a bare housing before it gets blasted. im going to change out all the internals anyway when i rebuild it. If i have to dissassemble it what would be the best method to ensure i got all of the media cleaned out? , just take a hose to it?

Secondly when it goes in for poweder coat can it be fully assembled minus the axles, would the heat adversely affect anything.
Ive got a stock 10 bolt i plan on sanding and powdercoating as well.

thanks guys,
-john
Old 10-31-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine if you can have it blasted with plastic or something besides sand take a few cans of brake clean and make sure you wash out the tubes and inside very good..
Old 10-31-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
You'll be fine if you can have it blasted with plastic or something besides sand take a few cans of brake clean and make sure you wash out the tubes and inside very good..

would it be a major concern if sand is used? My GF is a secretary at our local foundry so my stuff is geting tossed in for free. Im not sure exactly their media but i know its a coarse grit sand.

-john
Old 11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

would it be a major concern if sand is used?
Silica sand is okay ( its white ) otherwise known as glass bead but I wouldn't use regular stone sand as it breaks up too much and just doesn't work very well.

I sand blast every housing I build with silica. In fact I blast darn near every part I work on as it cleans up the stuff real nice.

As for clean up? Cant stress this enough. On housings I strip them bare and tape off any internally open spots and blast them. I then do my fab work if nec ( welding and whatnot ).

Then I blast them again and go over the welds carefully. Then i prime and paint ( powder coat whatever )

Once thats doen i open the housing back up and using a degreaser and a pressure washer with HOT water i wash the inside out EXTREMELY well. If even one bit of that sand gets stuck inside it will wreak havoc on your bearings and races in short order.

Dont try and cut corners by putting the cart before the horse. Prep the housing properly and assemble afterwards and you will avoid any potentially costly troubles down the road. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sandblasting Rear End Housing... Ive got a few Concerns??