Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9'' or 12bolt( which one to buy?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
I've got a Moser 12-bolt with 33spline TrueTrac (clutchless posi) and I still have ABS and TCS. No complaints and it's plently strong. Just don't get 3.90 gears. It's what I have and they are pretty loud. I've been told by Moser that the 3.90's tend to be the loudest gear.
...Would have been nice to know before I bought the rear...
That TOTALY blows!! That was exactly what I wanted, lol. Anyone know what the quietest gear is?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vintage Iron55
Also dont buy a stock ford posi that is out of a third member. The hat and body are machined together and can't be interchanged between units. you will never solve that runout problem.
Henry
So, sounds like that unless you buy an original stock unit that is together, you run into problems no matter what you change out? How is a aftermarket hat in a stock centersection? If they are machined together, would you have the same problem in reverse?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by csmc711
That TOTALY blows!! That was exactly what I wanted, lol. Anyone know what the quietest gear is?
A bump for this one...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28misfit
This question has most likely been asked 100x but yeah well. I can't decide wether to get a Moser 9'' or 12 bolt. I want everything to bolt up to it. I saw the 9'' needs the brake lines run better than the stock ones, that's no big deal. It basically comes down to price for quality. I don't want too regret buying the wrong rear.Thanks in advance!
I know I'm kinda late on this thread, but I would not buy a Moser 12 bolt or any Moser product for that matter. I had a Moser 12 bolt in my heads/cam car and I broke it the very first time I put slicks on it. Moser would not stand behind there product for ****. They told me that there rearends are not designed for drag racing. There the biggest bunch of rip off scam artist ******** you could ever do buisness with. Basically I ate $2700.00. Strange dana 60, or any Strange product for that matter would be the way to go. Leave that Moser garbage alone.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, THAT could throw a wrench in the ye old plan!!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
I know I'm kinda late on this thread, but I would not buy a Moser 12 bolt or any Moser product for that matter. I had a Moser 12 bolt in my heads/cam car and I broke it the very first time I put slicks on it. Moser would not stand behind there product for ****. They told me that there rearends are not designed for drag racing. There the biggest bunch of rip off scam artist ******** you could ever do buisness with. Basically I ate $2700.00. Strange dana 60, or any Strange product for that matter would be the way to go. Leave that Moser garbage alone.
That sucks. Strange tried to do the same thing to me with their S60.

Strange gave me the same crap about its a racing rear end "it's going to make noise". They tried to blame the howl on urethane bushing which had been on the car for four years with no noise issues. They have no idea why some of their S60's make noise, they replaced the ring and pinion and all the bearings, it still howled so bad people walking down the road would turn around to see what the noise was. They were not going to do anything for me but a vendor stood up and made them take it back. I wasted 6 months dealing with the S60 problems.

The strange S60 howled like a banshee, the TIR on the axles was out so bad the car would vibrate really bad at end of track, ABS and TCS would not work (ABS rings out of position). Just remember the Strange S60 IS NOT a Dana 60.

I went with a 9" from Scott @ DLS. Bolted right in, works great and feels like stock. Everything works, no vibrations, and it's completely quite. I recommend that you have someone assemble the gearset and check everything before you bolt it into your car.

Another advantage of the 9" is you can unbolt the center section and send it out to your favorite gear guy and have it worked on if you want to.

I also picked up 1/4 MPH with the 9" over the S60. So much for less efficient.

My .02
DJ
Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPOWU8
That sucks. Strange tried to do the same thing to me with their S60.

Strange gave me the same crap about its a racing rear end "it's going to make noise". They tried to blame the howl on urethane bushing which had been on the car for four years with no noise issues. They have no idea why some of their S60's make noise, they replaced the ring and pinion and all the bearings, it still howled so bad people walking down the road would turn around to see what the noise was. They were not going to do anything for me but a vendor stood up and made them take it back. I wasted 6 months dealing with the S60 problems.

The strange S60 howled like a banshee, the TIR on the axles was out so bad the car would vibrate really bad at end of track, ABS and TCS would not work (ABS rings out of position). Just remember the Strange S60 IS NOT a Dana 60.

I went with a 9" from Scott @ DLS. Bolted right in, works great and feels like stock. Everything works, no vibrations, and it's completely quite. I recommend that you have someone assemble the gearset and check everything before you bolt it into your car.

Another advantage of the 9" is you can unbolt the center section and send it out to your favorite gear guy and have it worked on if you want to.

I also picked up 1/4 MPH with the 9" over the S60. So much for less efficient.

My .02
DJ
+1. This is exactly why I went from a 10 bolt to a 9". 12 bolts are just not as strong as a 9", and I don't have any noise issues at all (3.70s). Some might think it's overkill for an A4, but having broken a bunch of stuff before, I like the insurance.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

I'll have to see how my rear is, ended up ordering the S60 so we'll see. I hope it's not loud, it shouldn't be as long as everything is setup correctly.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, please keep us informed.