Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tranny build-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002 | 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Tranny build-up

What do I need to build my tranny up to hold about 450rwhp? I already have plans for a 12-bolt so no need to mention that I need one. I don't know cr@p about tranny's either so try to be specific.
What kind of clutch? I'm thinking a Spec Stage 2 or Stage 3. Whats the difference between them- besides 70 dollars? I see alot of people have Mcclouds and Cartek's also. What about them?
Slave and Master cylinder's? I hear to get an adjustable master for clutch engagement- how does that work? And I know Mccloud sells a whole kit but I've been reading the ZO6 holds up really well.
On Fasttoys.com I saw they suggest a hydraulic upgrade for 98's -00's. Whats that all about?
I read a few posts where people have been breakng there 3-4 forks? Is that from powershifng?
I would say that 80% of my racing is street from a roll but I like to hit the track occasionally.
If I'm leaving anything out please let me know. Thanks in advance.

<small>[ July 26, 2002, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: SStolen ]</small>
Old 07-30-2002 | 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Tranny build-up

Please help me out fella's. What do you think about this set-up:
- Mcleod adjustable master cylinder
- Stock 01' slave cylinder
- RAM-6130 DISC (super duty)
- RAM-402 Pressure Plate

(prt #'s are from summitracing.com)

Would this be ok for 450rwhp?
Old 07-31-2002 | 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

The T-56 is a piece of ****. I have had: 3 new trannies; 1 build up by my local shop; and now going thru another re-build at a local dealership. You can bet you'll have problems if you race (period). There is no bullet proofing this things. Speed shifting is much safier on the tranny than power shifting, from 2nd to 3rd for sure.

Here is a couple things that I have learned:

Third gear will be the first problem
2001 and earlier T-56 have **** for syncos
3rd/4th gear shift fork is a joke

What year is your car? If it is not a 2002, replace your syncos - they are now made out of kevlar. Buy a new 3rd/4th gear shift fork (the after-market one is made out of iron, vice a piece of stamped out metal). Find a GOOD place to have the buildup done.

The best place for the parts www.ddperformance.com

For the clutch.. If you are going to make 450rwhp or less stay with the Z06, you'll not need an adjustable master. Do the drill out mod. If you are going for more than 450, go with the McCleod kit - kevlar cluth plate. It'll run $1100, but will hold against about anything. Ram has had some serious problems in the past. Again the install will be everything. The drill out mod can be found at www.installuniversity.com

Good Luck

David
Old 07-31-2002 | 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

So your saying that the 2002's get the good synchros, the good 3/4 shift fork and the better clutch set-up? Damn, thats depressing. By the time you add all of that up along with the LS6 intake and cam without all of the ugly EGR crap it about pays for itself in new car gold. [Is the clutch set-up in the 2001 and 2002 f-bodies exactly the same as the clutch system in the vette and ZO6? Did they just decide it was cheaper to give the f-bodies and regular vettes the 'goods' because of mass production or what?]
Ok I understand that I need the ZO6 clutch. Did you mean that I needed the whole ZO6 set-up? I'm assumming you meant the ZO6 master and slave cylinder as well. What about the pressure plate? Is there a ZO6 PP? Is it better than my 2000 or can I/should I just have my current one turned? Is it like turning rotors because all they do is warp again only faster. Would you recommend just getting a new presure plate whether it is the same as I have now or the ZO6 if they make one? Thank you so much for your help, I didn't think anyone was going to help out.
One more thing. I have heavy ZO6 rims along with wide heavy tires. Besides racing, I think they contributed to the clutch going out. I can always smell it coming out of first gear even under normal accelleration. It feels like I'm starting out of second gear in first. I've decided to go with 4.10's to counter the heavy rims and to get back some of the low-end power that I lost and also to give my clutch a little less stress. My question is, my clutch went out with near stock power and heavy rims, will a stock 2002 set-up really hold up to the car with an extra 100rwhp? I'm not questioning you, just re-assuring myself. Thanks again- Mike W.

<small>[ July 31, 2002, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: SStolen ]</small>
Old 07-31-2002 | 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

IMO this is what ya need:

Z06 clutch kit (it includes flywheel, pressure plate & disk)
New 2002 slave
(you should not need a new master)

Both can be gotten from any one our sponsors - although I prefer Thunderracing.

Clutch kit should run about $300-350
Slave about $100

but it has been a while since I priced one. www.thunderracing.com

While you are putting in the clutch do the 'drill-out' mod - again go to www.installuniversity.com for exact instructions.

This should be great for street and with stand a lot of track time - last year I put on almost 500 1/4 passes on my Z06 clutch and when it was pulled out in favor of my present McCleod set-up it was still OK.

None of the F-body comes with iron 3-4 shift fork - I don't believe the Z06 does either. It is an aftermarket product. I am not sure who makes them but your aren't going to bend it like the stock POS. You can buy it through D&D.

If you are going to rebuild the tranny: call D&D Performance they will be able to help a lot more than me.

Hope this helps some

David