Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12bolt gets louder by the month...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the clunk, i know theres no broken teeth on the gears, ive had the cover off, checked wear pattern... the gears might be set wrong or off, but nothing broken. i think its the diff/carrier, with the cover off i can turn the ring gear one way until it locks and starts turning the axles, then i turn it the other way...and it takes about 45 degrees of turning before it locks again and turns the axles. basically theres a gap of 45 degrees where the ring/diff/carrier can spin back and forth without turning the axles. i kno thats what is causing the clunk, because i sit in the car and have my cousin turning the ring gear one way til it locks, then turn it the other way until it locks, and back and forth, and evertime it locks i hear a clunk.

for the whining noise, i kno theres a gear whine and a bearing whine. i hear 2 tones of whining and when i push in the clutch and coast one goes away. i am def gonna get it rebuilt and set up properly, i juss dont kno how long i have before damaging the housing/case. the gear whine is loud but the bearing whine is soft.

and for moser, ill still buy their products.... but never let em touch it when it comes to installation/assembing the rear and settin up the gears. and **** their tech ASSistance
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club

CamaroSS621
I doubt that it your wheel bearings. it takes alot to have one of them go bad. sealed or unsealed Ive never had on go bad in any of my cars.

Last edited by N2O-ARMD; 12-15-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

There should be sbsolutly no play from the carrier to the axles. The posi unit it screwed up pretty bad if its doing that. I got your PM I getting the phone number for you Ill' PM it to you I know two guys that can do it for you. One of them is in Gettysburg, PA and the other is down buy Budds Creak they both build race cars for a living.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Moser 12bolt gets louder by the month...WTF?