Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I need opinions/questions on strange 3.42s 2 series carrier!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bene
Okay, w/ those being said as far as your recommendation on ditching the idea. What is the best 3 series differential carrier (posi) that can be had (mainly on street/rarely on track). I have heard that traction control equipped cars has 4 channel rear, so I guess I have 4 channel. Will I have to get a posi made for a 4 channel rear?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out here guys if you could please do help me is... What are the correct parts for me to have for 3.42s? Posi brand, gear brand; type, etc for a mostly street driven car.
Sorry about the rant bene... it just gets a little pointless at times with all of the internet pouges, FNG's and experts we have at our fingertips now-a-days. I however, dont have a problem with those disagree, as long as they disagree intelligently. Speculation and opinion is evident when someone can not bring any technical explaination to back up their own statements. Now, I am affraid that this individual is out asking his friends or consulting actual people with the associated knowledge and that he will eventually share "his knowledge and expertise" when he digests everthing he learns and figures out how to put it into words.

FWIW You dont have to ditch the idea... I just would rather see you spend your hard earned cash ONCE. Its better to do things right the first time, than doing little things to work around issues that will come up. And the differential isnt something to skimp out on... its a pretty key device to safe and reliable vehicle operation. That and its a 7.5" afterall... it is going to brake... and its not a question of "if", it is a question of "when." I also understand that money doesnt grow on trees and not everyone can just go out and throw a fair amount of moola into something like this. But, it is worth the time and wait to do it right.

Gears, OE GM- USGear or Precision 3.42's.

Bearings, TIMKEN... and only TIMKEN.

POSI, I myself would do a Torsen for your use. But, I havent asked if your statement of track use will be a road course or the 1320. Anyway, the Torsen is a lot of fun in a daily driver.

An EATON would be my second choise for your use.

A locker would be considered a no-no with a four channel as it applies the rear calipers independantly when the TCS or ABS is functioning... which can induce driveablity issues when braking or accelerating through turns. Basically, it will make unatural noises beyond that of the normal operation and sounds associated with a locker.

Last edited by chicane; 01-11-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Chicane. As far as track use, the car had only been to 1320 so far. And your right it's better to do it right on first time.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, i dont want to take the thread but i had a set of richmond 3.42's installed in my car today and i took it around the parking lot and heard alot of noise. the technician said to leave the car there and we would take a look at it in the morning. i watched him install it, he left .004" backlash on the ring gear, measured correctly, and he said he would take it apart tomorrow and look at it again. he said that the tolerances call for .003" to .009" but i'm wondering if the richmond gears had anything to do with it. i'm using the series 2 carrier btw.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard alot of guys about thicker gears (2 series) being loud and richmond makes the most whines. That's why I opting for upgrading to 3 series gears and posi rear.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane

Gears, OE GM- USGear or Precision 3.42's.

Bearings, TIMKEN... and only TIMKEN.

POSI, I myself would do a Torsen for your use. But, I havent asked if your statement of track use will be a road course or the 1320. Anyway, the Torsen is a lot of fun in a daily driver.

An EATON would be my second choise for your use.

A locker would be considered a no-no with a four channel as it applies the rear calipers independantly when the TCS or ABS is functioning... which can induce driveablity issues when braking or accelerating through turns. Basically, it will make unatural noises beyond that of the normal operation and sounds associated with a locker.
Is there a sponser or someone you recommend buying stuff like this from?