Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New axle = TERRIBLE grinding sound. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New axle = TERRIBLE grinding sound. Help.

Hey guys. I had a wheel bearing going out that had ground down my stock left axle.

I bought a new bearing, and a used axle out of a '98 Trans. The car is back together now, but when I turn, or excellerate hard, there is a horrible grinding sound in the rear end. The mechanic is pushing the idea that I gave him a bum part, but it looked fine to me.

Any thoughts? Does this sound like a normal problem, or something simple?

Thanks!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
Hey guys. I had a wheel bearing going out that had ground down my stock left axle.

I bought a new bearing, and a used axle out of a '98 Trans. The car is back together now, but when I turn, or excellerate hard, there is a horrible grinding sound in the rear end. The mechanic is pushing the idea that I gave him a bum part, but it looked fine to me.

Any thoughts? Does this sound like a normal problem, or something simple?

Thanks!!

it is probly the side bearings on the differential....your mechanic is a moron if he cant look at an axle and tell if its worth a **** or not. sounds like he's trying to push the blame off himself and onto you, for failing to diagnose the problem correctly in the first place....im assuming he told you it was a wheel bearing that was bad? well everyone knows if a wheel bearing goes bad to the point of grinding metal all over the inside of a rearend, the entire rear should be taken apart and inspoected and cleaned completley...meaning taking out the entire thing and cleaning it by hand.

demand your money back, because you got fucked....use that money to go buy a new rear, like a 12 bolt or Dana S60 from strange...its the cheapest, and the strongest.... it'll cost $1,300 to rebuild your rear probly.....

$1,000 more and you'll have a rear that can handle 1000+ hp, and quiet as can be, and will never break.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/ne...earendAD1.html
Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This does not make me happy.

Thanks for your honesty. Not looking forward to round 2 w/ the mechanic tomorrow.