Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is there a howto to setup gears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a howto to setup gears?

Is there a writeup anywhere of how to properly setup gears and such? Just wondering if anyone ever made one??

Brian
Old 01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup, take it to the shop and let someone do it... orrrrrrrr... http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm

hope that helps
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

richmond makes a video check it out at summit or jegs
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its really not HARD so to speak... Its time consuming if you awnt to do it right...and especially if its your first time.

Having good tools to work with is key in my opinion. Not wrenches and all.. But a good torque wrench, a small torque wrench that measures in-lbs (for pinion preload), a good dial indicator with magnetic base, and a set of calipers for measuring shim thickness. I like the digital one from harbor freight. Actually I got my dial indicator and calipers from harbor freight and paid very little. They work great.

Also, a press is handy...as well as a bearing puller of some sort. I usually use a dremel with small cut off disc to remove bearings. Just works better...

Honestly though...I do quite a few gear changes. Every Jeep I lift gets new gears front and back. Ive done a few jeeps now... so it was worth it to me to go through the learning process and figure it out. But...if you are just re-gearing once...and its on a high performance car that will see some abuse...Ide take it to a shop and fork over the cash.

Get it done right the first time, in a timely manner, and enjoy the new found acceleration!

Justin

P.S... There are write ups online. You gotta use google. What type of rear are you looking to re-gear? Ill look through my bookmarks and try to find ya one that will give you a good idea of what to do.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another site, slightly different viewpoint:

http://www.stealthram.com/gearswap.htm
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a instruction PDF from Randy's Ring and Pinion. Pretty decent info on there...

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...lation_Kit.pdf

Here is another one from yukon gear about pinion depth...

http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/T...structions.pdf

koolaid_kid: That is a decent write up. However they dont mention checking for pinion depth, or what to do if backlash is out of spec. They make it sound alittle TOO easy...know what i mean? The main skill to setting up gears quickly and correctly, is to understand how to re-shim things if the backlash is out of spec or the pattern is incorrect. .003" will make a big difference believe it or not. Sometimes adding that amount will put things right where youw ant them...or sometimes it will bring the backlash into spec but wack everything else all out.

Its a fun game to play... I just regeared a dana 30 front axle. And had to assemble and disassemble the axle about 5 times to get it right. Right after that I regeared a ford 8.8...got it all on the first try. It all depends. Just dont think its as easy and taking the old one apart, slapping new gears in, and being good to go. While that may work sometimes, it can really screw things up other times.

Justin