Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to install a Posi unit and gears???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to install a Posi unit and gears???

I am going to install my own rear end in order to save some cash. I want to do all of my homework on this before I take on this project. So far i have done all of the work on my car and I don't see any reason why I can't do this if I am pointed in the right direction......................................... .................................................. .................I have tried to search for links to a detailed set of instructions for this and have had no luck. I would like to find some directions as well as hear some advice from those of you who are good at doing this. I know that I will need a dial indicator....is there any other specialty tools for this job?

Thankyou
Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevermind the instructions part, search didn't show up the complete how-to in the sticky i would still like to hear some advice on any of the probs that I might face.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need a press. Also, when finding the axle centerline you will need to measure the ID of the carrior caps and devide in half. Your axle centerline is NOT measured from the base, where your caps sit. This will throw your pinion depth off if you dont find the "true" axle centerline.

From there, just take your time. After you get your pinion depth right (with the right amount of shims) your only half way there. You will need to get the carrier adjusted so you have the correct amount of backlash. When shimming the bearings (on the carrier) they should NOT spin freely. You need to shim it so there is some resistance. This will loosen up as the rear end is "breaking in"

Next is the tooth contact using the grease marking compound. You should find pics of this some where. When checking it, use a pray bar on the carrier (to give it some resistance) and spin the pinion. Not using the pray bar will give you a false reading. If the pattern is not correct, than you need to go back and change some shims. What shims depends on the pattern you get.

Hope this helps - Ron
Old 01-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

tool from randys ring and pinion makes it easy to remove carrier bearings and pinion bearings
Old 01-31-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
You will need a press. Also, when finding the axle centerline you will need to measure the ID of the carrior caps and devide in half. Your axle centerline is NOT measured from the base, where your caps sit. This will throw your pinion depth off if you dont find the "true" axle centerline.

From there, just take your time. After you get your pinion depth right (with the right amount of shims) your only half way there. You will need to get the carrier adjusted so you have the correct amount of backlash. When shimming the bearings (on the carrier) they should NOT spin freely. You need to shim it so there is some resistance. This will loosen up as the rear end is "breaking in"

Next is the tooth contact using the grease marking compound. You should find pics of this some where. When checking it, use a pray bar on the carrier (to give it some resistance) and spin the pinion. Not using the pray bar will give you a false reading. If the pattern is not correct, than you need to go back and change some shims. What shims depends on the pattern you get.

Hope this helps - Ron

good luck with that
Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is not something you want to try to save money on. take it to a shop.

Quick Reply: How to install a Posi unit and gears???