Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

u-joint clips

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default u-joint clips

Quick question. I am installing the napa conversion u-joint for my 9 inch. I came with the little steel c-clips (not the copper e-clips). I snapped them into grove where the original plastic retainer was but I cannot get the cap in with them. I can't imagine relying on the caps staying in place just pressed into the yoke. can anyone confirm what hold this napa conversion joint in the stock driveshaft?

thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, a little more info. These snaprings will not work. They are too thick to allow the beval on the cap to press over them. You just tap them and the cap will pop the snapring out of the groove. I've checked and recheck the groove to make sure there is nothing that is preventing the snapring from seating fully. I've cleaned the old plastic out with a brush and inspected the groove with a mirror. Does anyone have any suggestions or have run into this themselves?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So no one has had any problems with the snaprings on the napa conversion joint?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

done the conversion but cant remember... sorry
Old 01-28-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just figured it out. I'm a dumbass. True to my nature, I always overthink the simplest things...

The snaprings go on the inside of the driveshaft yoke dogear lol. I was trying to get them to fit into the original groove where the nylon retainer was. I woke up this morning still and looked at it a little more. The snapring grooves on the new caps would have sat too far apart in the original grooves. So I smacked myself and put the u-joint back together.