Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

No OD and getting code P1870

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No OD and getting code P1870

Does any one know what this code means (p1870). A-tap says transmission component slipping, but that is kind of vague. My car doesn't seem to want to go in to overdrive (running 2300 rpms at 55mph with the gear selector in OD). Any ideas? I've only had my car back for 2 months after having to rebuild the trans and installing a vig3200, but there were no problems until now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

David -2000 Formula A4
Old 08-27-2002, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: No OD and getting code P1870

P1870 is thrown when the TCC is locked and the TCC slip speed parameter exceeds calibration defined limits. (The failure limit is like 80 RPM for some number of seconds on my C5.) Keep in mind that the TCC slip speed parameter is not just TCC slip but also any internal slippage. The goal of the test is to identify slippage at a time when the TCC slip should be a minimum. You can manitor the relevant prameters with a scan tool while you're driving around to get a little better insight into what's going on.

Forgot to mention that in response to the code setting, the PCM will command max line pressure (are you shifts hard?) and inhibit TCC engagement. I don't recall if it inhibits a 3-4 shift, I don't think it does.

<small>[ August 27, 2002, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: ToplessTexan ]</small>

Quick Reply: No OD and getting code P1870