Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

"climbing" gear lube

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "climbing" gear lube

Just how important is it for the gear oil we use to be a "climbing" type of fluid?? I.E.; for it to move up onto/be "attracted" to the ring gear even at very low r.p.m.
The only stuff I've seen make this claim is Lucas, Moroso, and I think the Lakewood BFL (all 80W-90s as far as I know).
The big wig tribologists on BITOG seem to think that this, along with a big dose of the "right" moly, is the MOST important thing to look for in gear oil.

chicane?? You out there? What's your experience? Do the Torco RGOs & Shaeffers you suggest have this property? Or is it all just marketing hype??
Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Amsoil rep come out to my shop once with all of his marketing tools... meaning, all the toys that show 'climbing', film pressure strength and direct friction testing. We tested various Schaffer products against various Amsoil, Torco, Lucas and LE products.

Lets just say that he left with a new understanding of a better product line.

I will say... that Schaffer, Torco and Lucas do have the same (or very similar) climbing properties. This is just another reason why these are the three that I recommend for differential use.

FWIW, Schaffer is the only to use a 'suspended' moly... which is the right kind.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'm wanting to swap out my Lucas mineral 85W-140 for some Torco RGO of the same weight, come springtime. Just wanted to be sure of this "climbing" feature in the Torco. Torco's moly is not fully suspended??
Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have clarified... suspended for use in a 'parafin based' lubericant.

DINO, semi and full synthetic's have different requirements of the binders to homoginize the moly itself.

Quick Reply: "climbing" gear lube