Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 bolt install?

Ok im thinking about buying a 12 bolt and the shop had told me it was 450 for install...i wanted to install it myself but they said it comes completely un assembled. Is this true, do i have to install the posi and gears and all that or is it just shipped without the axles on it?

I guess what im asking is, is there alot involved in putting one together and if so is the 450 a reasonable price?

This is about to throw me over my budget, i almost wanna do my heads and cam first but i dont wanna worry about this thing at the track
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helped a buddy install a Strange 12 bolt in his garage a couple years ago - his came complete (axles and all) shipped on a pallet??? Only took us a couple hours.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

A few years ago when I ordered my 12 bolt from Moser,it came assembled except for the axles.It was set up for stock lt1 brakes,and I used my own backing plates.I'm guessing,if you ordered it with the backing plates it would come completely assembled.I'd just ask when you order
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Strange 12-bolt came fully assembled bolted to a pallet. It just has to be unbolted from there, moved into position, and bolted in to the car.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Moser 12 bolt requires reusing your stock brake backing plates, which is pretty easy to do. The center cover does not have to be removed to do this.
A Moser rear is shipped two days after the order is taken, where most other companies take three to four weeks. Bob
Old 03-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done the swap on LS1 and LT1, the LT1 is a bit more easier. The LS1 E-brake/Disk setup is a PITA but do able, If you ship backing plates to moser they could assemble it for you, dont know if there is extra $$$ but they have great customer service. I just had my 33 splined axles machined for 2002 ABS exciter rings, next is to get the old rear out, pull off the break hardware and get the bearings re pressed on to the axles.

Mine did come with the axles out but again due to the bearings having to be pressed on after the brake hardware goes on.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

My Strange 12 bolt came ready to rock, fluid and all, right out of the crate. Hardest part would have been swaping to the spicer u-joint into the stock drive shaft, but I upgraded it at the same time. Save the $450 DIY!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Thanks alot guys, yea i was planning on doing it myself but i didnt wanna mess with installing the gears and **** but apparently that shop was just dickin me over. Im probably going to order it today or tomorrow.

Now to have the bearings pressed on i jut take the backing plates and the axles to a shop and tell them? And also what is this u joint adapter i need for the driveshaft and does that need to be installed by a shop also?

Approximately how much did shipping cost for you guys and how long did it take to get to your house after it was processed?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

You can reuse the stock u joint if you get a rearend with a 1310 yoke on it. A 1350 yoke is stronger, but the stock u-joint that is pressed into your drive shaft is a 1310. A spicer joint is an adapter uesd to mate the 1350 rear end yoke to the 1310 drive shaft yoke.

I paid about $180 shipping. Strange took about 5 weeks to get mine to me.

I've installed a Moser and a Strange in the apst 6 months. The Srange is more complete and far easier to do, and here's the differences-

Sway bar mount-

Strange-reuses stock hardware and supplied nuts and bolts, fits perfect
Moser-pay another $70 for brackets and another $20 to get the bushings that fit the brackets. Or just try to half *** it with exhaust clamps. Either way be sure they're on streight or you'll put a twist in the sway bar and preload the rear suspension.

Brake lines-

Strange- mounts identical to stock rear
Moser- rig it with zip ties because the line tabs are not there. And the bolts that held the lines to the stock pumkin- you'll have to make some new holes to use them.

Torque arm-

Strange- Uses stock through bolt style. Put a wrench on the top and hit the bottom with the impact gun.
Moser- Uses 4 bolts. Have fun trying to tighten the top bolts with the floor pan and every thing else in the way. Be ready to retighten them often- they like to come loose and fall out.

Bearings-

Strange- comes installed. The rear is full of fluid. Plug and play.
Moser- pull the thing apart, press you own bearings, reassemble.

Last edited by thunderdan74; 03-14-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

thanks man that helped alot, good thing i didnt order it yet. Did you order direct from strange?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:26 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

That is why I recommend the Moser 9 inch. The 9 inch uses the two long bolts for the torque arm, just like the oem one does. It ships in two days after the order is taken, and is designed to directly replace the 10 bolt.

Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145 Bob
Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yep, mine is a loud 12 bolt. Kinda annoying.
I have not done a 9" install. Does Moser's 9" give you a place to mount the brake lines & sway bar? What setup do you have to do to it before its ready to roll?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

yea i would love to get some info on those im almost considering giving up abs to run the 9 inch idk though
Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by p8ntmunky
yea i would love to get some info on those im almost considering giving up abs to run the 9 inch idk though
I'm assuming you don't have traction control. You can get a 9" with 4ch abs. Just not 3ch. I think the S60 has 3ch abs capability.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

yea i only have 3ch...i never even considered the s60 i gotta look into that