Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end is screwed

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end is screwed

Well I've done it. Yesterday I broke the rear in my V6 doing a burnout, . I got a two wheel peel though , for my V6 thats usually rare with my tires. It still drives right now but I was only around the corner from a friend's apartment when it broke so I parked it there. It make a loud clunking sound about every two second while driving and it shakes like hell. So tonight I got it towed home because my friend lives about 30 miles away and I got it off the flat bed and put it straight in the garage.

Tomorrow I'll tear into it and see exactly what is going on but I'm pretty sure it's a bad pinion gear so I've already bought a set of 3.42s like it has now off ebay to replace these. I'll post up pics once I crack the cover and start digging around in there.

If you guys have any tips or insight or anything, please post up. I'm pretty good with cars but this will be my first gear swap. I don't forsee it being that bad because I'm not changing the gear ratio but like I said, I've never changed the gears before. Also, does anyone know of a good "How to" that I can reference if I need to? Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.keliente.com/gears.htm
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Great write up on doing a gear swap. I do have a couple of questions though. I was wondering if you can tell me where I can find the cylinder style bearing installers you used on the pinion bearings or maybe who makes them. I also would appreciate any info on the screw type puller you used to remove those bearings.

I stopped at the dealer today and picked up all the bearings, seals, pinion nut and crush sleeve, etc. that I need to fix it and that eneded up being about $265. That also includes a transmission filter and gasket because I figured I might as well do that too while I'm under there. I'll be opening it up tomorrow so I may have some pictures posted up tomorrow night of the damage done. Thats about it for now. And thanks in advance for any info you guys provide.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

Well, last night I pretty much gutted the rear end of the car so I can remove the whole axle. Tonight I am going to swap in my Firebird's axle temporarily until all of the rest of the parts get here and I can get this one rebuilt. Then I'll swap them back. I removed the cover though and did a little inspection and the teeth on the driver's side spider gear are completely gone. So now I might just say the hell with it and replace the whole carrier too. Well, thats about it for now, I'll post up pictures later on tonight.