Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pointers on changing Axle....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pointers on changing Axle....

So i crashed into a curb and i bent an axle so now every time i drive i feel the car wobble and my father says he only see's the right rear wheel wobble (the side i crashed). So i know i need a new axle for sure and i need help in any possible pointers on installation becuase i have never done an axle change but i do have the chilton book so iam gonna give it a try. Can i get some Do's and Dont's about swaping Axles shafts, and what parts will i have to change other then the axle. So far i have bought new wheel berings and i'am about to buy a axle. What else do i need, i slammed the side of the curb hard and my wheel broke apart so what do you think i will end up needing? Thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Axils are easey, all you have to do is take off the wheel and brake assembly. Then pop off the diff cover, and rotate the posi unit untill you can get the bolt out that holds the big pin in. The only trick is to not brake the bolt in the pin, if you do it will be a pain to get out. After the bolt and big pin are out push the axle in and remove the C clip. After that just pull the axle out and put the new one in.

All you really need is the new axle, diff fluid and RTV. But it might be a good idea to replace the axle bearings, becsuse you did hit something hard enough to brake a wheel and axle, but you need a bearing puller to get the axle bearing out. The rest of the job only requires basic hand tools. You will save yourself alot of money if you do it, and it is really easey.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Hey man thanks alot i feel so rested now that i know ill be able to do it. Whats RTV and could were can i rent a axle bering puller or will i have to take it to a shop and if i have to can i just place the new axle in and drive it to the shop and a bad axle bering and then pay then to do the axle bering. I also bought new wheel berrings will those have to be place in with a special tool too? thanks so much for you help dude you have no idea how much help you have been.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup... axles are fairly simple.

I would also opt for a new axle seal, since they are inexpensive and also easy to replace. It may have been damaged, or may not have... but it is cheap insurance none-the-less to a leak free R&R.

You can purchase RTV (aka silicone sealer) as well as rent an axle puller from your local NAPA or other parts wherehouse/auto parts store.

Remember that when you get ready to install the seal and the rear cover... that cleanliness is the key to keeping it leak free. You'll need a gasket scraper (maybe even some sand paper; just keep the grit out of the center) a few clean rags and some non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

If you do find the crosshaft retaining bolt broken and in place... you can use a pick tool or scribe to work it out most of the time. And... then you will also need a new one to replace it as well. Dealership would be the most likely place for one quick/sameday.

Dont forget to remove the wheel speed sensor (exciter) from the flange so that you can push the axle in far enough to remove the 'c-clip'.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by losaltos6
Hey man thanks alot i feel so rested now that i know ill be able to do it. Whats RTV and could were can i rent a axle bering puller or will i have to take it to a shop and if i have to can i just place the new axle in and drive it to the shop and a bad axle bering and then pay then to do the axle bering. I also bought new wheel berrings will those have to be place in with a special tool too? thanks so much for you help dude you have no idea how much help you have been.

Do not pay a shop to replace the axle bearing. It would be a waste of time, because in order to change the bearing they have to pull the axle out. So you would kind of be doing it twice. You should be able to rent a slide hammer kit to remove the bearing. And if you are replacing the bearing you need to change the axle seal.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chicane
Dont forget to remove the wheel speed sensor (exciter) from the flange so that you can push the axle in far enough to remove the 'c-clip'.

I am not saying you are wrong, but when I did mine I dont think I wheel speed sensor. I just pushed the axle in and had enough room to take the c-clip out.

Good call on the diff cover tip. If you dont want it to leek make sure its very clean. Any brake cleaner should work good.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Launching!

right on guys thanks alot i wrote down all the critical info you gave me and hopefully by next week ill have it done..
Old 05-05-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw Autozone will rent you basically everything you need. They have the bearing puller and slide hammer for rent. I will be doing mine next weekend but I have read enough about it so it seems pretty easy. Post up pictures if you can when you pull the axle out. Here is what mine looked like when I pulled it out. When I bought the car the factory rim had been curbed as well as a dent put into the body right behind the door and that is typically what causes this to happen. I have put 40k on my car since I had it and it always made noise. My impact was not so severe but one other thing that may be affected as well is the c clip which are about 4 dollars from the dealer.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STILL 2 SLOW
...when I did mine I dont think I (moved) wheel speed sensor. I just pushed the axle in and had enough room to take the c-clip out.
Yeah... on some housings its not a problem... and on others it is. I guess you had happy parts that day and they wanted to cooperate. Some are not so lucky. Its been a 50/50 with the ones I have done.

But anyway, just in case he didnt have happy parts... I thought it would be good info to have if he ran into it. I remember when I first ran into the sensor problem... I swear... it took me forever to pull my head out of my *** to see what I was doing wrong.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 AM
Launching!

thansk guys iam getting tons of info that will help me hear, thanks. ill be pulling it tommarow or the day after hopefully.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

hey man, i did the exact same thing as you and i'm changing my axle out today for the first time-hope it goes smooth! good luck.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Teching In

ANY BODY HAVE LUCK CHANGING THEIR AXLE? WOULD LIKE TO HEAR HOW EASY OR HARD IT WAS....I THINK THE WIFE CURBED OUR 02 OR SUMTHIN...ANY WAY IT WAS MAKING NOISE. SO I LIFTED IT AND LOOKS LIKE THE RR AXLE IS BENT!! MAN IT SURE DIDNT TAKE MUCH TO DOIT....JUST CURBING? ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP.....THANKS
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

easy as pie man, took about a half hour and im no mechanic.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

It is generally an easy job, but last time I did it, I couldn't get the retaining clip to come out without some SERIOUS persuasion (added over an hour to the job). Previous times I did it, the C clip fell out on its own when I pushed the axle inwards. It's hit or miss.

The only other thing I can think of is to use GOOD sealant. When I used black RTV I would get leaks. Someone recommended I try "The Right Stuff" and I've been leak free with it.

http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm
Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

i can vouch for the c clip just falling out on its on when the axle was pushed in...i guess i got lucky. i hope my seal holds!
Old 06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by defenestrate
i can vouch for the c clip just falling out on its on when the axle was pushed in...i guess i got lucky. i hope my seal holds!
I think my C-clip problem came from after I installed that "bearing saver" type of axle bearing. There was about 1/16" lip that protrudes from the end of the housing tube, that's probably what caused my hassle.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

i never did anything with the bearings...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Regular

My wheel wobbles from a rearend i got from the junkyard, hopefully its just a bent axle!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Regular

not only was the axle bent, it was so f!@#ed up that i cant squeeze the last 3 inches fro m the new axle in!!! SUCKS!!! loss of 300 dollars.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Second Club

get one of those pen magnets for the C-clip, it helps alot.