Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

LSD info and Cryo Treatment info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD info and Cryo Treatment info needed.

hi, I am building up a Pontiac Fiero (I know not LSx car, but my questions are still valid) 400hp SBC before N2O, 500-550hp after N2O, its a 5-speed tranny because there arn't any other stronger ones available, I already blew apart my stock fiero diff (spider gears were laying on the starting line) last racing season, so here is what I am doing to another fiero tranny...

-full professional rebuild,
-stronger spider gears out of a newer FWD transmission,
-professionally Cryo treated internals (not sure about casing, that is one of my questions... would it be beneficial to cryo treat the casing?)
-I want to get a Limited Slip Differential assembly kind of like phantom grip exept this kind (Gr8grip) has double the contact points, here is the link to their website... http://www.gr8grip.com/

I have heard some bad things about these kind of metal-to-metal LSD kits, that they wear down the contact points pretty badly. I am not going to be doing any autoXing with the car, mainly drag strip and some street driving. I have been in contact with the Gr8grip representatives for a little while and he said that if I use the right "LSD safe" tranny fluid then the wear will be minimal and should last the life of the tranny... does anyone know which fluid he is talking about? I am asking you guys all of this because he is trying to sell his product and might be hiding a few key points that you might uncover.

since I am already cryo treating my internals (and possible casing) would it be beneficial for me to dryo treat the LSD kit aswell? he already case hardens them so the inside is still flexible so its not as brittle as cryo treated, which one would be best for my application?

another question for now, Gr8grip charges almost $100 just to put their LSD kit in my diff, how many of you have put a LSD into a diff before and how hard would it be for me to do it myself?

one last thing, is there any break-in period needed for LSD's? if so, what should be done during the break in period and for how long.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone familiar with LSDs?