Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tire Hop Problem.. Whati s the best solution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire Hop Problem.. Whati s the best solution?

I recently did some mods and now my car is producing more torque and hp. I have experienced some tire hop problems, especially on turns while trying to fish tail. Which one would help more an adj. panhard bar or LCA? Any suggestions from experienced individuals. Thanks
Old 05-01-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tire Hop Problem.. Whati s the best solution?

What do you mean by: "on turns while trying to fish tail"? If you're trying to make your car fishtail while turning, why even care about wheelhop? FYI, fishtailing and wheelhopping while cornering are not cool......In straight line accleration, wheel hopping can be cured w/a good set of aftermarket lower control arms. Board sponsors have many available for sale. Now, I think I've heard everything....WJ.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wheel hopping can be cured w/a good set of aftermarket lower control arms. Board sponsors have many available for sale.
i'm not sure aboutthe corner/fishtail thing, if your looking to that, you'll probably end up spinning the car 360 deg. anyway, i installed bmr's lca's & adj. pan hard bar it took 98% of the wheel hop away! the panhard bar will just center the rear under the car!
Old 05-01-2003, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you mean by: "on turns while trying to fish tail"? If you're trying to make your car fishtail while turning, why even care about wheelhop? FYI, fishtailing and wheelhopping while cornering are not cool......In straight line accleration, wheel hopping can be cured w/a good set of aftermarket lower control arms. Board sponsors have many available for sale. Now, I think I've heard everything....WJ.
Yea, what part of what he said didnt you understand? He has wheel hop problems while hes trying to get his car sideways. I do it, many others do it. You should try it, its called having fun with a RWD v8.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

During a straight line acceleration run that causes wheel hop, there are lots of different forces acting on the rear tires and axle. LCA relocation brackets and tubular LCA's can usually cure most of (or all of) this. When cornering, there are additional forces added to the mix that may be slightly more difficult to control (more shock valving, the torque arm, panhard rod, etc) begin to have more effect and make solving the problem slightly more difficult. I agree that I've never had anyone mention a fishtailing/wheelhop problem, but I'd try to solve it the same way as wheelhop in a straight line (with brackets, lca's, torque arm bushing upgrade, etc). You may need to look at panhard rods and shocks with more "aggressive" valving as well (if the above mentioned solutions don't fix it). I'd likely start with LCA's and LCA relocation brackets, assuming that there are no obvious problems with the car (tires with bad belts, LCA bushings that are excessively worn, dead rear shocks, etc). Just my thoughts....good luck!