Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Putting a Ford 9" rear into my camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a Ford 9" rear into my camaro

I can get a for 9" or 8.8 rearend cheap and want to know what exactly I need to do to make this work in my 4l60e 97 camaro? Will only certain years work or does one have to buy one that has been specially modified? if so what needs to be done?

thanks in advance
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to buy a housing already made to bolt right up. Unless your very good at welding & fabrication. None of the brackets on a drop out ford 9" or 8.8 will work without extensive modification.

By the time your done you could have bought a new housing & axle kit & just used the old center out of a 9" if you want it & don't want to spend alot.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you would need the spring mounts welded on, the proper housing ends (so you can use wheels with the correct bolt pattern and mount your brakes in the proper location) and the torque arm mount welded on and PROPERLY aligned (if not, that could spell disaster). And if you're running abs you'll also have to make a way for that to work as well.

Well the only way it wont cost you an arm and a leg to do it is if you can do all the work yourself or you can get all the machining/cutting/welding done for cheap...You can find a used 12 bolt/9" in the FS section for ~$1600 which is a really good deal for a complete bolt in rear.