Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke 9"

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke 9"

Unfortunately I don't have pics. Also, I apologize in advance for spelling/grammar. I'm bored as hell, and stuck at home on pain killers... Impacted wisdom tooth removal yesterday.

Hopefully Scott will take a few pics and chime in. I bought my rear from him around Nov of 2005. I shipped the 3rd member back to him last summer for a new pinion seal and to swap the pinion yoke to a 1350 series unit. I have had an issue with whining/howling since shortly after it went in. Scott has been there every step of the way giving me advice and ideas to try to quiet it down. Last summer when he shipped it back to me right before I went to the track, it was finally pretty quiet.

Fast forward a couple weeks... I put it on my buddies trailer and trailered it home on leave to go to the track. At the time I was full bolt on (minus pulley) with the 9", poly/rod end combo LCAs and PHR, as well as the Spohn tunnel mount and the LCA relo brackets. I've also got a Powergrip HD clutch. On drag radials (255/50-16 MTs) and some Kumho ASX's up front aired as high as I dared I backed it off the trailer at the local track. After teching in and lining up, I tried to launch way too high off my 2 step and blew the tires off. With a shitty 2.0 60' I ran my personal best of 13.0. The previous best was a 13.3 on nittos. The only difference was the 9" and 4.11s and better DRs.

Anyway, I pulled back around and adjusted the pressure. I had forgotten that I'd aired up the DRs for street driving. So I dropped them down, got back in line and tried again. To make a long story short I spent the next several hours playing with launch RPM, tire press and burnout duration. What seemed to work best was about 18 psi in the rears, sway bar unhooked and about 4200 clutch drop (NO 2 step) Any lower it would bog bad, any higher and it would go up in smoke. I'm sure there was more left in it if I had more time to play with slipping the clutch a little and modifying the launch revs. All in all I was pretty happy. My PB of the night was 12.5@ ~112. According to my Dad, as well as a couple track officials at the line, on my dead hooking 1.7 60's I had both fronts off the ground.

After that trip to the track the rear got noisy again. I was pulling it out to investigate what the deal was when my neighbor found it. The case was cracked around the pinion support bearing. I got ahold of Scott who immediately wanted me to send it in so he could check it out, and get me back on the road. The rear arrived at his place yesterday. I'm anxious to hear back from him. I'm going to find out if he thinks I need a stronger case, as now I'm cammed and installing a 150 shot. Hopefully I can get the rear back and it's quiet and like new. I have faith in Scott though. He hasn't let me down yet. If you ask me, that's f@*king customer service. A guy who's willing to take care of you a year and a half after the sale.

If you read this, THANKS SCOTT!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

You broke a 9" with bolt ons and 1.7 60s? And I thought those things were strong lol. Nice times for a bolt on car
Old 06-14-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. I hope you're up and running soon.

I'm curious which 9" case you were running....?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rufretic
You broke a 9" with bolt ons and 1.7 60s? And I thought those things were strong lol. Nice times for a bolt on car

His sig says that he has a MS4 so... That is more than a bolt on car.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by purdueranger
His sig says that he has a MS4 so... That is more than a bolt on car.
Well if you read his post... you would see he said that was when he was bolt-ons only
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

I was bolt ons last season when I broke. The MS4 just went in just over a month ago.

IMHO what happened is that I got a weak case. I'll ask Scott exactly what case it was, but I believe it was just a standard Ford iron case. He has quite a few people running quite a bit faster than that with it. Regardless... Now I'm gun shy so I'm going to talk to him about a tougher case since I'm running a big cam, and I'm planning on spraying 150 outta the hole.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tellim install a nodular case in there.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a moser or strange N case there 10 times stronger than a stock cast case.

heres my moser N case

Old 06-16-2007, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

I was definitely considering the nodular case. I'm just waiting to hear back from him now.