Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft weights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driveshaft weights?

I would use the search like I always do but the search is bunk and I couldn't find anything on the google search so here it goes.

I am having an odd vibration in my car. Under medium acceleration in any gear around 2000 rpm I am getting a shuddering. I got under the car to check the driveshaft and ujoints.

Driveshaft: I got under there and looked at the driveshaft it looked fairly straight but I see only one weight. Everywhere I have read says something about weight(S) and speaking of driveshaft weights in plural form as if there are multiples. My question is am I supposed to have more than one driveshaft weight on it?

U-joint: I was told to look for a worn ujoint, problem is I don't know what a worn ujoint looks like. I put the car in neutral and pulled the e-brake and tried rotating the driveshaft. I had some movement in it, I would say between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The number of counter wieghts on the stock drive shaft can vary. As for the movement, there should be zero play/movement in the actual ujoints. Double check but I assume that the play you noticed was in the trans/rear end. The vibration is possibly from several factors, try flipping the driveshaft 180 deg on the rear end flange. Other causes are worn pinon/ring gear, bent/twisted axle, wheel bearings, axle bearings etc...