Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driver's Axle Doesn't Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Axle Doesn't Fit

Just put my 9 inch in and the driver's side axle won't go in all the way.This is a rear end from a local guy.They are moser axles ,and i know i got the axles on the right side.Pass. side whent right in and backing plate bolted up fine.I put some grease on the driver's side to see if it was hitting the pin in the 3rd member and it was.I think the axles are fine,but maybe the diver's side tube is to short.I had to fab the bracket for the tourq arm bar cause the bolts didn't line up.I'm about a half of a inch short of getting in.The bearings are pressed in to there stops. I think I'm gonna have to take to a machine shop to have the axle cut.I even tryd putting the longer axle in the driver's side ,and it's way too long , so I know I have the axles pressed right.I need help thanks.The guy that built my rear is Danny Millers rear gears.Spose to be a well known guy in the St.Louis area.

Last edited by skipshift; 06-20-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Teching In

oh yeah the car is a 99 with some boltons
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

With the 3rd member out of the housing, try to install both axles fully in their respective tubes. I've heard of Moser axles having a problem of being cut too long and actually hitting each other. Off the top of my head, I don't recall any incidents where it was this severe.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks man I'll check on this.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

My Moser axle on the driver's side was too long and I had to grind about 1/4 off of it to make it fit. A friend of mine had the same problem as well. It wasn't too hard to grind!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

I bought a nine inch from the same guy and had the same problem. I took it back and he replaced the housing and assembled it for me. Now it leaks at the third member and is noisy as hell. I'm gonna take the third member back too. Dan said he will put another set of gears in it. This is starting to be a pita! And one of the axles had to be cut down about 1/2" too. Here's a link to mine. https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/728687-nine-inch-install.html

Last edited by WS6 SRT-8; 06-21-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Well I got ahold of Danny and he cut the axle for me.I work like 10 mins. from him. He was very nice and helpful.I had to take about a half of a inch off the axle to make it fit.He said moser sometimes sends him axles that aren't the right length.I was driving my car around for awhile and some stuff was hitting one thing or the other.I have adjustable lca's , pan hard bar ,and tourqe arm bar, so i got some adjusting to do , but everything seems to be working good ,so I'm happy.Nothing looks like it's leaking or anything.Wish I had pic's , and more post's. Thanks guys for the input).