Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end started making noise last night!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end started making noise last night!?!?

I was leaving my buddy's house last night to find a noise coming from somewhere in the rear. I have no idea what it is. It starts making somewhat of a whining noise as soon as I get to about 20-25 mph and it just gets louder the faster I go. Its pretty weird because it only makes noise under acceleration but I could let off the gas at 60 and the noise goes away but as soon as I accelerat it makes the noise again. My guess is that it is either the u-joint or a wheel bearing. How do I find out what the problem is? Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Would like to know also i have a whir/whine coming from mine. My bud thinks its a bearing gone out. I guess Ill find out when I do the gear change later this summer. In the meantime...

Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is whinning like you are saying you might wanna pull the inspection cover and make sure there are no chips in the ring and or pinion gears. Usually a while will be a chipped gear. That is the first place i would look. You might need to start saving for a better rear end.