Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Annoying Pinion Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Annoying Pinion Leak

I know this topic has been discussed a lot here, and I did perform a search before posting this thread, but I did not find the answer I was looking for.

I changed my pinion seal 3k ago and it did stop leaking for a short time. However, it started leaking again, and worse this time. It is leaving large puddles now. I am wondering what I can do other than performing the seal swap again? Does anyone have any advice that would make the seal change be more effective? The rear end is a stock 10 bolt in a 01 WS6 TA M6.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

I would love to know the answer to this as well.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a pinion on my 9 inch that had a machining mark on the seal surface that resulted in leaks. Check the surface where the seal rests to make sure it is very smooth and free of steps, nicks, scratches, etc.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok i will check the surfaces. Is replacing the crush collar a must? Also, could an incorrect pinion angle be chewing up pinion seals?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Default pinion leaks

Ok , well make sure you lube both the pinion seal lips and machined surface well with grease.
Checking for a seal grove worn into the machined surface .... if so find a new yoke andf or they sell a repair sleeve.

If you are tough on the car...hard launches etc. You might have lateral run out on the pinion (other works a bent pinion shaft) causing the pinion to have a slight wobble that will not take long to punish the seal.

If you installed the seal dry...that is most likely the problem.

Crush sleeve. It should be a good practice for the crush sleeve to be changed out. What will happen is you will burn the bearings up into the races if the crush sleeve does not have enough crush left in it. I have seen and heard you can take the crush sleeve out slide it on a shaft (old axle ) and strike it around to give it some height back again... But for the cost of one your better off buying new. It will also be hard to feel the drag with the carrier in the housing...Your pretty much guessing. You do what you feeel is right. I wish you the best on the leak. hope some of this info helped. Jim