Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Why doesnt anyone make Titanium gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJM
Carbide is actually steel with a high carbon content. As you go even higher you get iron as comes out the ground. The excess carbon is removed from iron to get steel. Carbide is the high end of the steel range, very hard but also very brittle. That is why carbide is attached to ductile iron like in saw blades.

I see. Thanks for educating me.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about nickel, I know its has been in some iron blocks, but dont knwo the strength, flexability, malleability and weight in comparison to steel..

anyways... sounded like a good plan, til I found it its more brittle
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

ring and pinions dont break normally because of just poor metallurgy... when the housing flexes under hard load it changed the contact pattern of the pinion gear on the ring gear and causes all sorts of problems inside there... bearing surfaces get distorted and things go haywire quick... thats why the vast majority of 10 bolts end up breaking.

I had my truck 10 bolt gusseted and reinforced and it made a word of difference, it even improved my 60' times a hair.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
ring and pinions dont break normally because of just poor metallurgy... when the housing flexes under hard load it changed the contact pattern of the pinion gear on the ring gear and causes all sorts of problems inside there... bearing surfaces get distorted and things go haywire quick... thats why the vast majority of 10 bolts end up breaking.

I had my truck 10 bolt gusseted and reinforced and it made a word of difference, it even improved my 60' times a hair.

Interesting.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is also why the 9" is considered superior to a "rear loaded" differential.

Ok... so now you ask why.

In a "rear loaded" housing, when all forces are applied, it tends to bend the axle tubes forward as the tires bite. When this condition happends, it lessens the carrier bearing pre-load and the differential (eg. posi and gear set) tends to 'walk' around in the carrier bearing cups. That in-tern allows the gear mesh to open up in an uncontrolled manner and you end up killing the gear set. Also... up to that point, the power applied to the ring and pinion tend to make the teeth flex (hence the reason for a ductile material). As you could well guess... the condition of both at the same time IS the worst case senario.

As for the 9"... the center section itself is 'self contained' and is not subjected to housing and/or tube flex. As well as the center section has a built in spiogot bearing to control the pinion on its axial center. This combined design isolates the carrier bearings and gear mesh to a singular unit... that is not subjected to the same conditions as a rear loaded housing.

In the actual gear set-up... if you want to combat ring gear tooth flex, you would normally set it up a little deep on drive and centered on coast. Now here's an unknown to most... on drag racing set-ups (9310 material; Top Fuel etc etc) using the common differentials like a all rear loaded housings, 9", 9.5", 10, 11 and 11.5" the gears are set-up like normal, then all the lash is dialed out of it. This also helps to combat tooth deflection.

Last edited by chicane; 07-24-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chicane
That is also why the 9" is considered superior to a "rear loaded" differential.

Ok... so now you ask why.

In a "rear loaded" housing, when all forces are applied, it tends to bend the axle tubes forward as the tire bite. When this condition happends, it lessens the carrier bearing pre-load and the differential (eg. posi and gear set) tends to 'walk' around in the carrier bearing cups. That in-tern allows the gear mesh to open up in an uncontrolled manner and you end up killing the gear set. Also... up to that point, the power applied to the ring and pinion tend to make the teeth flex (hence the reason for a ductile material). As you could well guess... the condition of both at the same time IS the worst case senario.

As for the 9"... the center section itself is 'self contained' and is not subjected to housing and/or tube flex. As well as the center section has a built in spiogot bearing to control the pinion on its axial center. This combined design isolates the carrier bearings and gear mesh to a singular unit... that is not subjected to the same conditions as a rear loaded housing.

In the actual gear set-up... if you want to combat ring gear tooth flex, you would normally set it up a little deep on drive and centered on coast. Now here's an unknown to most... on drag racing set-ups (9310 material) using the common differentials like a all rear loaded housings, 9", 9.5", 10, 11 and 11.5" the gears are set-up like normal, then all the lash is dialed out of it. This also helps to combat tooth deflection.
I wish I knew this before I Went with a Moser 12 bolt.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well... your in luck.

The tubes in the aftermarket housings, KTRE (the original), Strange and Moser... all of them use thicker tubes of better than OEM (circa 1967) material. Not to forget to mention that the bearing journel lands and caps are about 50% stronger from material thickness increas in the casting... but also the overall "casting" and its material is considered superior... with the exception of the 1969 12bolt housing. Its is its own cookie...

Dont sweat it. You will break traction before you get into any trouble... unless you are cutting like 1.2-1.3 60ft times.

Quick Reply: Why doesnt anyone make Titanium gears?