Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

did i kill my rear end? or?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default did i kill my rear end? or?

the past week i noticed that when i floored it (and only under heavy acceleration) that i got what sounds like a can full of rocks under the driver side floorpan. i thought this was probably a bad cat or something.

today i went to install new pads and rotors, and noticed that if i turn one wheel foward, the other side goes in the opposite direction. also noticed that there's a slight play in the wheel, where i have to turn it slightly before the other wheel turns in the opposite direction.

something tells me i blew out whatever is in the diff. anyone agree that this is the can of rocks i was hearing, being transmitted through the driveline?

sucks, i got a 1800 mile trip tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Default Rear Questions

WHAT YEAR is your car. If it is a Torsen posi then that is kinda normal . The way that unit works you will get that kind of tire movement unless the rear is under road load .

A little play befor e the other wheel moves is quit normal too.

Try putting one tire on the ground and one in the air and spin it around and listen. If your really getting any kind of clanky noises open the rear cover.

Your noise under the driver seat should not be the rearend. I do not know what side the exhaust is under check that and the tranny would be closer to the area you are having trouble.

Just need better stuff to go on for an answer. Like fluid leaks or trouble shifting or shimy ing in the rear, something...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

whoops, sorry. 2001 z28. i think there was a little noise twice... once when i was noticing the wheels spinning opposite of each other, and the other was when i was breaking in the new brake pads according to the hawk hps instructions. at one point we thought i ran over a pebble because we heard a tiny thump thump thump... we checked the lug nuts, those were fine, and the noise was gone after we pulled out again. :shrug: if i don't get on the throttle, the car appears to drive completely normal. but therein lies my worry that something is sneaking up to bite my butt when i'm 900 miles from home lol.

no fluid leaks anywhere,
no trouble shifting,
rear end doesn't shake.

i'm out of time to look at the car, i wake up 4:30 am to go to work, then exams until 10:30 pm, then home by midnight and depart for new jersey. i might have to find another car to use i think. this worries me a bit, as someone on our local forum had a rear wheel freeze on his car and flipped.... hate to do that while full of luggage and the g/f in the passenger seat.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Doesn't sound like a bad rear end to me... sounds like maybe your y-pipe is too close to your floorboard and is vibrating against it. If you have a Torsen (which you probably do, as do I) that rotation is normal.
Both times I blew my rear end... I knew it immediately, and I knew exactly what it was. It made a loud clunking sound with every turn of the wheels.
You may want to do a thorough inspection of the undercarraige before making an 1800 mi road trip. If it is the exhaust... don't worry for now, have the exhaust shop take care of it later. Chances are, if you heard it underneath your foot, that's where that sound is coming from, so inspect that area very closely.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

i put one wheel in the air, didn't notice much when i turned it the few degrees foward and back. same thing when i lifted both wheels... but i notice it's not 100% smooth. there's a slight clicking, but it's not with every rotation... so probably something else.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

ok, new problem. took it above 60 mph, whole car shakes like a giant *****, rofl. gets worse when i hit the gas. sounds like u-joint to me... last night it rode fine on the highway. the only thing that changed since then is installing new brake pads and rotors... but if those were the problem i'd feel them all the time, wouldn't i? plus this vibration above 60 mph is throttle sensitive. if i gas it to 80, it vibrates bad... if i coast at 80, it's not as bad... sound like a u-joint/driveshaft?