Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Axle Question PLEASE !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Question PLEASE !!

I was getting a knocking noise that I was feeling on the pedals area everytime I drive over a hole or an even road, I thought it was a shock or a ball joint, it took almost two months to realize that if you feel a knocking sound on the frame of the car it could basically be coming from anywhere not only the front.
So, I thought to give a try and lift the rear this time and check if everything is ok. Well, everything was ok but before I went to lower it down I "Shook" the wheels left and right and then IN AND OUT and found out that for SOME reason the driver side rear wheel actually has a "Gap" of maybe less than a quarter of an inch, I mean you can move it IN AND OUT but you couldn't move the other side that way.
I took the wheel off thinking my brake pads are so bad that the rotor is a little bit off free movement hitting somthing, I ended up taking the brake off and then the rotor and then found out that the whole axle actually moves in and out, again, not talking even a quarter of an inch movement but that's what was making the noise everytime the car drives over an uneven area.

Sorry I wrote too much, what do you guys think, will it at some point just snap off the rear end if I keep abusing it? what could cause the axle to move like that?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Questions

Well 1/4 inch is ALOT...Are you sure it is that much? You should open the rear diff and look see. Is the rear posi? and if so does it work ok? Like leave two tracks upon hard acceleration? Cone could be worn into the case on that side of the case. You could have a bent pinion shaft rod...slam into an curbs down the road? Do you like to do drifting? The axle end button can be getting worn from those kind of tricks. c-clip bend... many little things can cause that excesive end play. If you have none on the other side and alot on the oppisite...it would lead me more towards the bent pinion shaft it will bow and push one axle tight and the other will be loose like yours. Only way is to inspect the prats. tear it down and look. Jim J D Race.com