Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need some help... How to remove axles from Strange 12-bolt..?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some help... How to remove axles from Strange 12-bolt..?????

Hey everyone. Some of you may know me from my posts... Im not a complete dummy when it comes to working on axles and gear set ups. However this is my first time working on a GM axle... let alone a strange 12-bolt. So, specs are strange 12-bolt, eaton posi, set up for a 4th gen with disc brakes.

Here is my issue... I have the axle stripped down as far as I can...but I cant for the life of me figure out how to remove the darn axle shafts. There are no c-clips because these axles have c-clip eliminators.

I have the 4 nuts loose that hold the backing plate on... I wasnt sure if I needed to use a slide hammer to yank it or what. Figured Ide ask before doing any damage.

Any help any of you can provide is greatly appreciated! I really want to have it back together within the next day or two.

Thanks!

Justin
Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok...just thinking out loud. I dont see any c-clips...and that is what I expected. I took a look at the set 20 bearings that Strange told me to get for the axle bearings, and there is a seal, bearing, and a retainer that probably gets pressed onto the axle shaft. This is making me think that the axle just needs to be yanked out ofthe housing. I just thought there would be an actual bearing retainer plate like there is on a dana 44 for instance.

I dont see anything on the flange end except for the cast e-brake backing plate and dust shield... unless this is the actual retainer for the bearings/axles..??

J.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YEah, once the 4 backing plate bolts are removed the axle just sits in there and the bearing has some tension.

I'd imagine a good whack with a rubber hammer would knock it out. I personally have never pulled it apart...only gone together with it. It tapped together with a rubber hammer, can't see why it would do the same to pull it apart.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thats about what I figured. I think the bearing gets stuck in there after awhile and a good amount of miles. You know..its a tight fit to begin with, add in alittle corrosion and it becomes fun to pull out.

I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, but I only succeeded in bending my dust shield. Then I got smart and used a piece of wood behind the wheel flange, and it still didnt want to budge. This is what made me stop and wait until today to work on it. I didnt want to tweak anything that might be important.

Im going to run to autozone today, because when I worked there, I remember having two axle puller attachments for a slide hammer. One was the right size for my jeep which is 5 x 4.5" pattern. Thats too small for the f-body lugs. I think there was a bigger one... That should make life easier especially since I know it pulls out.

Now I just need to track down a new 12 bolt pinion nut... Tried the dealer and that moron wouldnt even look it up to order it...

Thanks for the help!

Justin
Old 08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The axles pulls out you my have to use a slide hammer to release the axles.

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Ok thats about what I figured. I think the bearing gets stuck in there after awhile and a good amount of miles. You know..its a tight fit to begin with, add in alittle corrosion and it becomes fun to pull out.

I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, but I only succeeded in bending my dust shield. Then I got smart and used a piece of wood behind the wheel flange, and it still didnt want to budge. This is what made me stop and wait until today to work on it. I didnt want to tweak anything that might be important.

Im going to run to autozone today, because when I worked there, I remember having two axle puller attachments for a slide hammer. One was the right size for my jeep which is 5 x 4.5" pattern. Thats too small for the f-body lugs. I think there was a bigger one... That should make life easier especially since I know it pulls out.

Now I just need to track down a new 12 bolt pinion nut... Tried the dealer and that moron wouldnt even look it up to order it...

Thanks for the help!

Justin
Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup... Went to autozone and picked up the axle flange tool for my slide hammer. I believe ill be keeping this instead of returning it for the rental refund...

They pulled out. Then my nightmare started. A guy at Strange told me to get Set 20 Timken bearings for the axle bearings. As soon as I got them out I knew they were wrong. He also told me that they use solid spacers in their axles instead of crush collars. I made up some new curse words when I pulled the pinion and found a crush collar in there. No one had a 12 bolt crush collar locally. Ended up calling strange, and having a solid spacer kit overnighted to me.

I got the kit today, and put it all back together tonight. Took it for a ride...seems ok. Alittle more whining than before, but I figure that might stop once the bearings break in and the preload drops alittle. Im driving the car to the outer banks on saturday...hence my rush to try to get her back together.

J.

Quick Reply: Need some help... How to remove axles from Strange 12-bolt..?????