Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

breaking in my new 9"...kind of noisy

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default breaking in my new 9"...kind of noisy

Is it normal to be a little noisy when there breaking in, can I expect it to decrease as it breaks in. Its a DLS 9" and overall Im pretty happy with it just expected it to be quieter. I hear of people adding a additive to quite it down. Whats a good one to use.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Same here but with a moser 9 from epp. Got to go out and heat cycle it a few times today and its NOISEY. Not only does it have tons of whine on decel but it has another noise all together sounds like a damn jet fighter getting ready to take off on a carrier spooling up. I hope it goes away some and its nothing dumb like a bad bearing or something like that.

Also I have a true trac and it makes some weird noises when you take a tight turn. Must be my luck with things I should have waited till a guy I work with with 30 years experience setting up rears and building mod cars from scratch has time. But he has been busy for a month or so and I got tired of the car being on stands. That and my DD car died I was down to driving my 77 stepside truck that I dont like to get out in the rain. I figured it might be a good idea to fix this one get it out of the garage so I can put a tranny in the dd.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99WS7
Is it normal to be a little noisy when there breaking in, can I expect it to decrease as it breaks in. Its a DLS 9" and overall Im pretty happy with it just expected it to be quieter. I hear of people adding a additive to quite it down. Whats a good one to use.

I have the same thing going on... making noise on accell, nothing on decel though. Im also curious if it will go away but I have about 500 miles on it so far and Ive already drained and refilled, didnt help. Using non-syn Valvoline 75w140 with no additives. Maybe I should be using a different fluid?.?.?.?

Do you have a trutrac? I do.. apparently you cant use any additives with it and only non-syn fluid.

I dont mean to talk bad about DLS because Scott is a great guy but I expected my 9" to be pretty quiet... I had heard all the good about quiet rear ends that came out of his shop and after talking to him a few times I was confident I didnt have to worry about it. Lucky me, and apparently you, we got some noisy 9"s. Ive already mentioned it that Im chalking it up to having a stout rear end.. and that I should just deal with it but I made a 2hr trip a couple weeks ago and it became pretty annoying after about 30 minutes on the freeway.

Im thinking about having one of the reputable shops in the area check the gear pattern and see if anything can be done.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

hmm, yeah I hear ya about the jet fighter sound, Im a B1-Bomber crew chief so I can relate...literally, lol. Yes its a truetrac. Damn Id be pissed as hell if something was wrong. I put it together to a T and took my time on everything. I must have called Scott like 5 times to make sure I was doing everything ok, he was there every time to take my call and explain a few things to me which was cool of him. I also broke it exactly as he wanted. Took it for a 5 mile ride and lit it cool for a few hours then took it for a 15 mile ride back to my house from the base hobby shop and let it cool over night then took it for a good 95 mile drive and again let it cool over night. I never once went over 60 miles an hour and baby to the clutch to prevent hard shifts. I really hope it starts to quite down.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i also i have moser 9 inch from dls and it makes a noticable noise between 65-75mph on acceleration and no noise on decel. doesn't bother me that much, if i want it to go away, all i do is open my cutout and turn up my tunes.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99WS7
hmm, yeah I hear ya about the jet fighter sound, Im a B1-Bomber crew chief so I can relate...literally, lol. Yes its a truetrac. Damn Id be pissed as hell if something was wrong. I put it together to a T and took my time on everything. I must have called Scott like 5 times to make sure I was doing everything ok, he was there every time to take my call and explain a few things to me which was cool of him. I also broke it exactly as he wanted. Took it for a 5 mile ride and lit it cool for a few hours then took it for a 15 mile ride back to my house from the base hobby shop and let it cool over night then took it for a good 95 mile drive and again let it cool over night. I never once went over 60 miles an hour and baby to the clutch to prevent hard shifts. I really hope it starts to quite down.
I paid extra to ship mine assembled.... just so I would know for sure it was put together right. Not saying you put yours together wrong but you know what I mean.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

I hear ya. I was gonna pay extra but I like learning how to do this stuff and I try to save money where I can. I really wasn't to hard. Besides its the third member making the noise and I didnt touch that, just put it in the housing.

I dont want anyone to think this a bashing thread casue its not. Scott seems like a real cool guy and was very helpfull for me when ever I had a question. Just with all I read about his rears being quite that was a selling point for me.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Get some miles on it and change out the oil, debri in the oil will cause noise. You also might want to run a thicker weight oil, maybe a 85-140.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didnt do any of the break in procedures you guys are doing, and mine is no louder than my stock 10 bolt!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

well good for you...

I'll try that Scott. Prob change it out around 1k on the rear.